Remote Control Switch

Page 2 of 2
You realy have not done any reasearch...... For 20 yrs X 10 has been the coolest set up. I have a set up that when i pull in the garage the x 10 motion detector turns on the garage lights, that garage unit digitaly through existing wires turns on 4 more sensors one in the house to. so you drive in to a LIT house and yard. And inside units can turn them all off. Every GM and probably other makes that have the built in garage door openers can also be programed to interface with X 10 . And maybe even regular door remotes. They dont tell you this as they want you to buy their equipment , What BS ... My Caddy DHS I programed the door opener [ built in with 3 buttons ] 2 extra buttons to controll X 10 lights so i turn on or off outside and interior lights. Even the Caddy dealer didnt know it could be done.. Yes x 10 is cool and computer controlable to. One outside sensor can control 8 additional units - be controled and has a multitude of settings . It honestly took me many , many days to plan and learn the system as i needed it but i have a fully automated system from car - before entry to indoor dimming and sound warning of activation to motion recorded time event vcr + DVD event recording . There isnt anything you cant do with X 10 . Radioshack , Cadilac GM , and most any Pulse Binary aftermarket system can be adapted, Alarms- Remote monitoring- water- heat - motion - any sensor in any combo could be controled from your car or bedroom using wireless handheld or AC powered wireless ..... X 10 its been around a long time ... Just seal outside sensors where the wires enter and dont even approach the rated limit for watts , their RELAYS are crappy
Actually, I have...... I looked at the X10 site, but did not find a single remote that could control a single wall switch from outside as I described it. Thanks for the insult though... lol....
m Ransley wrote:

Here is exactly what you need...cost $25.99. http://www.smarthome.com/4003.html This includes outlet for plug in lamp or anything else.
If you must have a wall switch to go with it, add http://www.smarthome.com/2031.html for another $12.
Total cost with wall switch under $40. If that's too high, then you really don't want it bad enough. Nothing cheaper that I know of. There is no wall switch with built in RF receiver.

No, you'll just have to settle for the 2-address key fob and the plug-in receiver along with 1 wall switch module.
The only thing this would have that you don't want is an extra on/off rocker switch on the key fob. They don't make a single-address remote control key fob.

Ransley, how did you program your GM buttons?

I have the three button setup on a Buick. I used the remote for the grage door to programthat one, then the wirelyess remove for the X-10 to program the other buttons. It reads the signal and duplicates it. There is a Home Link web page that should describe it better. Or your owners manual
Nice to be able to turn lights on from the car if you come home late.
On 29 Feb 2004, m Ransley wrote:

(endless X-10 raving snipped)
Why do you insist on drawing him blueprints for an armored tank when all he needs is a pea shooter?
--
No more big'uns for me, now I'm a 'Venture Capitalist'.
I've learned to totally appreciate 'Small Firms'.
On 29 Feb 2004, Rob Gray wrote:

Try the "ceiling fans" area of THD or Lowe's. I bought one of these 10 years ago, I would think they still make them.
It's a "fake" wall switch that's actually a transmitter, battery holder, and what looks like a common ivory wall switch. It's made for relocating a light switch in a room where you don't want to start rewiring through walls, this entire box surface mounts, it looks like a shallow Wiremold box.
Anyway, the -receiver- end of this thing gets wired into a junction box in the circuit where you can access the wires going to the light fixture(s) typically in the basement or attic. you flip the "dummy" switch on the wall and it xmits to the receive unit and makes the actual connection there, and the fixture is enegrized.
Only thing you might do diifferent is invest a buck in a metal "utility" box and cover plate with rounded corners, so the original mounting box doesn't damage your car interior if it gets tossed around.
You would need to isolate the intented light fixtures and feed them from the indoor receiver, but that sounds like it would be the easy part.
--
No more big'uns for me, now I'm a 'Venture Capitalist'.
I've learned to totally appreciate 'Small Firms'.
Only thing is that this is rated for 350 watts of lighting only, which means that whole string of flood lights on one circuit would likely be overloading it. There are ways to get around that (either isolate and control 2 or 3 key fixtures or rig up some sort of relay situation to control the whole circuit, but I have no idea of your preferences)
http://www.smarthome.com/2533T.HTML
This allows you to still use your indoor switch to turn them off, something I overlooked in my previous reply. Same deal with the "remote": throw away the "supplied drywall screws" and buy a nice rounded corners electrical box for it.
--
No more big'uns for me, now I'm a 'Venture Capitalist'.
I've learned to totally appreciate 'Small Firms'.
I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

There are remote appliance modules that can handle 20 amps. Same as the X-10 modules.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

I just bought a new home and the craftsman garage door opener was lost in translation. So I went to sears and bought a new opener for my truck. This remote has 3 buttons. Big one is programmed for the door and button #3 is programmed into a plug in device that will handle 600 watts. Really designed for a lamp but I am sure you can figure it out.
Sears also had the coolest wall switch. It has a motion sensor on it. I open the garage door and the lights automatically turn on. Leave and they turn off.
Spent right about $100.00 for all three devices. Now I know your saying that you do not have a Craftsman door opener, which is built by Chamberlain. There is a "Clicker" remote that does the same thing, just get the one for your garage door. I am sure they are using the X-10 or similar technology.
I can drive up in the day time open the garage door. At night I pull into the drive way and push two buttons. Lights on inside and out. This should be your solution...