Remote Control Switch

Page 1 of 2
I have asked this question to a newsgroup or two in the past with no luck, but I figure with technology changing, maybe I'll get lucky now.
I have lights mounted on the outside of my house just below the roofline (2 story house with attic). I guess these would be called flood lights since they light up the yard from their mount on the house. There is one wall switch inside the house that turns on these lights. The thing is that often the time you need these lights the most is when you drive up to the house at night (house is in the country, so unless there is a bright moon, there is no other light source except these lights).
What I am looking for is a wireless remote control wall light switch. In the past when I asked this question, some people have noted that they thought that a garage door remote could be modified for this use (since garage door remotes often can turn on the door opener and/or a garage light switch). I pursued this angle at a few garage door dealers, but they said that this use was not a feasible use of their equipment. A motion detector light is not feasible either since these lights are all on one circuit and there are about 10 lights around the house.
Does anyone know of a company that sells a wireless remote control wall light switch? Such a solution would work great since the remote control unit could be kept in the car and the lights could be switched on when needed and then simply turned off using he wall switch when the house has been entered.
Thank in advance for any advice.
Rob

www.x10.com
volts500 wrote:

Thanks for the response. I've been there before and they have things that are sorta/kinda what I want, but not anything that does what I want specifically.... Thanks for the idea though....
There are _several_ ways to use X-10 to do _exactly_ what you want. One way, if your total watts is 500 or less is to replace your existing switch with the Wall Switch Module (WS467-HA), then plug in a Wireless Transceiver Module to any receptacle outlet in any inside room close to the driveway and then set the house codes of the transceiver to control the Wall Switch Module. Then use the wireless keychain remote from your car to control the transceiver. It's best to try to purchase those three items in a "kit", you'll get more stuff plus it will probably be cheaper. If your existing lights are over 500 watts try installing lower watt light bulbs. Like I said, that's just one of several ways to do what you want.

volts500 wrote:

Cool, thanks for the info. The stupid thing is that I'm not sure if the current load is over 500 watts. I'll take a look at the total number of bulbs and figure that out.....

It was in the outdoor lighting section, with the motion detectors.
lowspauld wrote:

Thanks for the respnse, but as noted in my post I am not looking for a system using a motion detector. I want one that uses a remote to turn on the lights...... If a motion detector could be set up somewhat easily to work on an existing circuit with many lights already installed, then I might go that route, but the motion detector units I've seen work on a single light system....

In industrial controls there are limit switches.
See Eaton Electrical Limit Switches at http://www.eatonelectrical.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=C-H/Common/AssetTemplateLink&c=Apubarticles&cid 6495728774&Sec=products to get an idea what they look like.
The switch lever with the roller can be installed at and activated at any position by the garage door.
Klm wrote:

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=C-H/Common/AssetTemplateLink&c=Apubarticles&cid 6495728774&Sec=products
Cool site, thanks... I'll have to dig into the specs at their site more to confirm that these switches are wireless and remote though. To me it was not clear from the specific page whether or not they are, but it is a good start. I don't want a switch that is mounted outside though, I'm looking for a wireless remote speciically. From a quick glance, their product looks like a switch that is wired and mounted outdoors.... ... Thanks again!

There is no remote control. You turn the lights on (or off) with the garage door movement at a preset (limit) position.
The switch actuator is entirely mechanical. Mount the switch on (or next to) the garage door track so that the edge of the door, or a raised bump somewhere on the door will depress the lever. The roller on the lever is to prevent snagging. There are also versions with a plain lever and no roller.

The switch is weatherproof and I believe proof against sparking combustible gasses. It can be mounted anywhere.

The Eaton Electric switch is an overkill, costs a lot too. Go to any electronics shop and look for a similar switch to the Cherry switch with a lever found in http://www.cherrycorp.com/products/US/switches/saesgp.htm
Choose a suitable sized one. There are two screw holes on the body for your to mount the switch inside an box so as to enclose the wiring connections.

What, you never heard of x10.com? Or Radio Shack has their Plug'n Power version (not sure if IBM still sells their version). These are all compatible remote control modules (including wall switches). Wireless remotes are available with either a key fob with 2 switches or larger remote that can control up to 16 modules. Not sure what the wireless range is, but the module with antenna downstairs (which allows control of other modules) works from remote upstairs.
But check total watts of the lights involved. 10 lamps may be too much for a wall switch module (even if just 60 or 75 watt bulbs). Besides an appliance module, there is a heavy duty appliance module.
--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com /

David Efflandt wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding Radio Shack, I have described to clerks in their stores a few times what I was looking for and was told that they have no such product. For that reason, I'm not confident that Radio Shack has such a solution. As to the "X10.com", I've been to their site and I think I could get the lights to be controlled via a remote control if I set up an elaborate home wireless setup. I'm just looking for a simple, remote contol wall switch though, not something very elaborate.....

Apparently you think you need to automate your entire home in order to accomplish automating 1 single switch and that is not the case.
You need a plug-in receiver, a 2-button keychain remote, and replace the existing wall switch for the floodlights with an X-10 compatible wall switch (not dimmer) module.
X-10 and most radio shacks have exactly what you need.
HA HA Budys Here wrote:

Cool, thanks for the info.... These lights are not "dimmable" lights though. I wonder if it will be a problem to put them on an X10 dimmer switch?

I suggested the non-dim variety as it can handle a large load, like 10 possibly 150w floodlights. The dimmer modules tend to have a 500-600 watt rating.
David Efflandt wrote:

Thanks fo the advice. I'm looking for a single remote to control a single switch, not something to turn on and off things throughout the house, but I'll check those places again. Maybe they've come up with new stuff since I last visited....
Rob
Just checked the X-10 site. They still have a live chat connection. Why don't you ask them if it could be set up as you want? The only problem I can see is the range of their key chain remote, about 100 ft. In my Buick the built-in remote, as someone else described, extends the range to about 200 ft down the driveway.

Seriously, look at the X-10 stuff and consider the possibility of using a handheld remote to activate the light as opposed to the wall-mounted switch you seem fixated on. This will require a transmitter plugged in somewhere nearby for the remote to communicate with the light.
Program your cars 2 extra buttons using x10 or a radio shack controller- transmitter. Set your car to receive code and you can program 2-ONs or a on-off sequence. Two ONs give you control of 2 separate light circuts, which you would turn off upon entering your house with your regular x10- radioshack controler. The third button program in your garage door. Each of the 3 car buttons are only taking one code. Not an On -Off code, its either On or Off.