Remote control outdoor lighting?

Page 2 of 4

The rules have changed. You would think that the burglars would be rational and not pick the occupied houses over the obviously unoccupied houses.
Not in the states that have METH problems. There have been home break-ins in my neighborhood that defy all logic and reality. These guys are so high on drugs and desparate that they apparently loose their sense of fear and are breaking into open windows and through weak latches. They come into inhabitited households in the wee hours of the morning and start looking for valuables (wallets, purses, jewelry. cash, car keys, guns, women, etc.). When discovered, some just choose to fight instead of run away. The worst of all worlds.
Beachcomber

1) I'm defining a "home invasion" as an instance where intruders waltz into a home, ready to rock & roll, during normal waking hours, lights on, occupants awake & doing whatever people do at 7:30 PM. Based on this definition, there have been a half dozen around Rochester NY in the past 5 years. Only one involved drug situations (perps knew the occupants). The rest were simply random.
2) Your "10,000 to one" statement: Source, please.

In countries where guns have been collected from lawful owners by the government, the crime rate has risen. The reason is obvious.

If my home's unoccupied, I don't care what happens. No bodily harm can come to me or my family if we're not there.

1) If I want to step outside and enjoy the night sky, I don't want motion sensor lights coming on. 2) If I install a switch to temporarily shut them off, I'll forget to turn them back on some of the time. Not worth the trouble. 3) Motion sensor lights are an obnoxious greeting to people out walking at night, people who also may want to enjoy the night sky. Entire communities are trying to get residents to rethink how lights are used.

Thanks for the tip. There are 5 houses whose residents can theoretically see my house. Neighbor #1 is actually capable of doing so. House #2 is unoccupied and probably will remain so for another year while the son of the deceased owner gets it ready to sell. The other three homes are occupied by ancient people who take 5 minutes to come to the door. One of them mistook me for neighbor #1 last week when I stopped by to ask if I could take some of her leaves to use as mulch.
xrongor wrote:

shot. Whether he/she is killed, or not, depends upon my aim at the time. I will not wait to see what his/her intentions are toward my family. I will assume that they are hostile and act accordingly. An old saying amongst Police officers is that "I would rather go to trial for killing him, than for him to go to trial for killing me".
shoot first and ask questions later. death to all intruders.
yee ha
randy

I would go with the lighting contactor and a couple of swicthes at different locations. BTW The gun theory is great but given the scenerio you described , 3am walk to the kitchen ,confront a scumbag. Where is the gun? Are you planning on running back to the bed room in the dark and getting your gun? Or were you planning on taking the gun with you on your way to the kitchen? Try posting in rec.guns you can pick up some good home defense tips.
Bill

And your solution is to greet an intruder and ask how crazy he is? Remember: I asked you earlier about how you'd handle the situation. You provided no information.
There is only ONE safe assumption to make about an intruder, and you know what that is. Your problem is that you're trying to second guess your survival instincts. Any animal that does that ends up extinct, and like it or not, you're an animal. (At the moment, you're thinking like a vegetable, however).
says...

Why not just make your home look occupied, and avoid the problem in the first place?
My best wishes for your family. I'm sure you'll do a fine job supporting them from behind bars. And yes, if you shoot an intruder, you're highly likely to be convicted of murder in most jurisdictions.

I assume that by "jurisdictions", you're referring to the United States. If so, you will NOT be convicted for dispatching an intruder who has forcibly entered your home. Are you able contact the last lawyer you were involved with, perhaps for your house closing? Call and ask about the "castle theory". It's the foundation of law for this area of justice. The same concept exists in Great Britain, although their justice system has gone temporarily insane.
says...

The USA has 51 separate criminal justice systems. It's not possible to consider it a single 'jurisdiction' in criminal matters.

Are you a lawyer? Odd how you can give such convincing legal advice, without knowing the specifics of a situation. So, any intruder can break into any home in the USA, be shot dead in cold blood by the homeowner, and get off scott-free? Interesting country you live in.

Please provide a reference to an actual court judgment (or even a news story) where an intruder broke into a home, made no threat or other sign of harm toward the homeowner, was killed by the homeowner, and where the homeowner was acquitted. I think you'll have a hard time finding one. If the intruder was a visible threat to the homeowner or a family member, then I can understand self-defence being used as a defence to a murder charge. If no threat is made, and the intruder would have left as soon as he was discovered, then it's hard to legally justify killing that person.

Some might say the same thing about the 'system' in the USA.
For Home Invasion motion lights and dog or dogs are best, I use 2 dogs and a 3 banks of X-10 controled flood lights, one turns on the other the second turns on the third.

No dogs ? how about an attack Parrott, or Ferrit. [ joke]
Honestly , lights, locks, alarm {with hostage preset code} and noise { radio } work. But dogs are best, Black and large is what burgulars fear, I had 2 .

I believe you, but I happily got past the diaper changing routine when my son was young. I'll be damned if I'm going to clean up after a dog, or insult my neighbors by allowing a dog to crap on their property.

I watched one guy approaching my house and the dog went into a barking frenzy and he guy turned and walked away. Must have been somebody casing the neighborhood. This happened during the daytime.

That's nice. But no dogs for me, unless they can be trained to consume intruders and leave nothing but bones.
If an intruder is outside your house you cannot shoot him, but inside you can, many cases of this occur every year. But once he is inside he has the advantage and usualy do their work while you sleep. Best is keep them out with locks ,lights , dogs and alarm system
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

Sources, please.

Again, I'll point out that most burglaries occur during the daytime, when most homes are unoccupied.

Agreed, and all but the lights work in the daytime also.
says...

Dogs do more damage to property (and sometimes to people) than guns do. A gun is an inanimate object, a machine, and therefore predictable. A dog is a complete unknown.
says...

You've obviously never owned a well-trained dog.
Guns, while inanimate, are just as unpredictable as the person who gets their hands on them.
Great info > Who said it's ok to shoot an intruder in your home? News flash, like most laws that one varies by location. some states require you to leave your home if there is an intruder in it . I know it sounds stupid bt it's true.
Bill