Remote Control of Lights via CB radio signal ??

This post may sound a bit weird, but I have wanted to know how to do this for a long time. Please let me explain "why" I want to know how to control a floodlight , via a cb radio signal, from a long distance away (but still line of sight) :

I have a cabin in the mountains. We often leave the cabin at night, and from remote places, (perhaps 10-15 miles away), I have looked over in our direction (from another mountaintop) and "think" that I can pick out our property by seeing the floodlights on our deck. Now, if I could turn these lights on and off remotely, via keying up a cb signal, that would be super !!

It seems that I could key up a cb rig on a quiet channel , which would break the squelch on my cb receiver at home. The breaking of that squelch should be able to key some type of relay that would then turn my deck lights on and off. Perhaps the "key" would be the squelch circuit itself, or more simply, the noise that would come from my cb rig at home, the sound of which might key a relay................ ????

Am I on the right track here ?? I have wondered if I could incorporate some of those X10 remote lighting control devices for the home in some manner ?? Or perhaps use similar stuff from Radio Shack ? The hardest part is the "keying" particulars, I am just not sure how to piece it all together.

Can anyone offer any ideas on this please ??

Thanks !!

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

Install a "clapper" by your CB base unit at home. wire it to the light and make it switchable.leave the house and Key up from accross the valley and Clap a couple of times....................LOL

I know it sounds as rediculous as anything else..........but this is a strange request already. This should be a cheap solution.

I can;t believe I'm even posting a reply to your odd request, but this came to mind almost instantly when you explained your desire.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Forget the Clapper - It's junk.

Radio Shack sells an X10 telephone Responder:

Set up a 300 watt outdoor spotlight in the direction you are in transit with and connect to an X10 appliance module. You will have already set up and pre-tested the X10 telephone responder.

Control it by dialing in from your observation site with a cell phone.

Want an even cheaper solution? Radio Shack also makes a telephone "ringer" device that will flash a lamp when somebody calls.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

I appreciate this novel idea, but it does not reach the stated goal of the project.

I wish to control my DECK FLOODS remotely, with a CB RADIO signal.

No telephones, no clapper, no timer, no separate spotlight. I am sure there is a way that this can be done, and I am getting some good ideas, which I appreciate. But, most replies don't explain how to reach "my" goal as stated above.

Thanks again !!

--James--

--------------------------------

Forget the Clapper - It's junk.

Radio Shack sells an X10 telephone Responder:

Set up a 300 watt outdoor spotlight in the direction you are in transit with and connect to an X10 appliance module. You will have already set up and pre-tested the X10 telephone responder.

Control it by dialing in from your observation site with a cell phone.

Want an even cheaper solution? Radio Shack also makes a telephone "ringer" device that will flash a lamp when somebody calls.

Beachcomber

Reply to
James Nipper

Keep in mind we're at a minimum in the sunspot cycle, and 27MHz is "relatively" quiet for now. When the upper HF bands start to open up as the cycle starts rising, you would have a very difficult time finding a "quiet" channel many hours of the day, so you could have your lights flashing on and off quite out of your control. How about GMRS with a privacy code or tone control instead of CB?

Reply to
Chuck Reti

narrowing down the possibilities, in the absence of using the aforementioned multiple gigawatt rated linear amplifier to light your lights, you're gonna have to have some form of reciever to convert the signal you transmit on a cb frequency into a form some kind of switch can be activated with by the receiver,,,and you rejected the sound activated switch (clapper) the other poster mentioned so what's left?

Reply to
effi

You might try posting this in alt.engineering.electrical

Reply to
Ross Mac