Remote control & dimming halogen

Hi all

Is it possible to tie a few of the 500w outdoor type halogen lights together and have them controlled by a dimmer circuit (assume everything is sized for load)? Can you dim a halogen light?

Can anyone recommend an outdoor remote control system for this type of setup?

TIA

Mike

Reply to
Skipper

You can dim a halogen lamp, but it will no longer be a halogen lamp. :-)

The halogen cycle that allows the lamps to burn hotter and still give good life and a nice white color depends on it being hot. When you dim it, it will not burn as hot. You will get a warmer color and maybe a shorter life.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Ahhh ... very interesting. I am looking tolight up my backyard. Bright when I want it and dim when I dont.....

Mike

Reply to
Skipper

I have a dimmer on the halogen lights in my kitchen.

I have had no problems.

Yes obviously the color is redder when you dim them.

Mark

Reply to
Mark