Remodeling Question

Page 2 of 3

"Resale value" is quite important. This should be obvious to everyone in the current home sales climate. If you lost you job and had to relocate you'd better believe "resale value" is important. If there are a thousand houses on the market in your area, it doesn't take much to knock your house out of the running. *Anything* abnormal for your price range can do it.

Kate, Here we have two somewhat extreme positions. As is usually the case the median is the place to be.
Only a fool would completely ignore resale value as they remodel. Not having something you want as an offering to the goddess of resale is about as bad.
My wife does not do a lot of make up. Many women do. Homes in my area where there is room for 5-6 foot vanity that are meant to appeal to working couples are split about 50/50 between a double bowl and a single bowl with make up area. Not having either when there is room for it is a big mistake. One sorta offsets the other. I could easily trade the second bowl for space. We can both use the same bowl but she needs to keep her crap out of my way. -:)
--
Colbyt

That final part will never happen as long as you both share the same counter top. I realized that fact early in our marriage (35 years and still going strong) so now we have separate sinks and separate counters. Hers on one side of the bath and mine on the other. Do I need to mention that hers has more than 3 times the counter space and an area for her knees while she is putting on her face? I also raised mine a good 6 inches higher so its more comfortable to use. Oh, and none of it was done for resale value but entirely for our own benefit.

That final part will never happen as long as you both share the same counter top. I realized that fact early in our marriage (35 years and still going strong) so now we have separate sinks and separate counters. Hers on one side of the bath and mine on the other. Do I need to mention that hers has more than 3 times the counter space and an area for her knees while she is putting on her face? I also raised mine a good 6 inches higher so its more comfortable to use. Oh, and none of it was done for resale value but entirely for our own benefit.
--- reply--
Bob just because you failed to train the spouse does not mean that Kate or I are incapable of that task. -:)

You are absolutely right, I stand corrected. Just let me know when you think you have accomplished that feat.
"Colbyt" wrote:

Best answer yet Colby. If there is *room* then use it and use a smaller sink for one of them.
I live in a smaller place, bit older. Bathrooms were skimped and closets to make larger rooms. The master has 1 toilet and 1 sink and just enough room to open and close the door. The main (off the central hall) has a sink (extra large), toilet and a bathtub/shower combo.
In my place, a double sink would only be possible in the main full bath and would be a detraction as it's too small.

Provided your house is just another unit in a subdivision. I'm in a unique house on two acres. The selling points are:
Two acres Good freeway access Good schools A 20x40 outbuilding (currently outfitted as a workshop) Three-season room Loads of charm:
http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/house/outsidepix/frontOfHouse.jpg
The negatives:
Only 1200 square feet (including that three-season room) Only one bathroom Miniscule kitchen
Anybody who would consider my house wouldn't be deterred by it not being comparable to other houses in its price range.
Everybody's circumstances are different.
Cindy Hamilton
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 13:09:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

Are you saying that out of 1000 other homes in your community there isn't one that's comparable to yours?

Exactly. The OP currently has two sinks in the master bath. This is very likely typical in the price range that house is in. It would be stupid to do anything "different" that could be a negative. Your house, OTOH, is in a different market. At <1200ft^2 a prospective buyer wouldn't likely expect two sinks, or even a master bath (particularly since you only have one ;).

Sure, but that wasn't the point. The OP *has* two sinks now and is wondering if it's smart to delete one. It's not.

I've been in my house 29 years. I'll be damned if I'm going to compromise years of my pleasure to get an extra $1200 when I sell to move to the nursing home.
Sure, I'd not remove the kitchen to put in a pool table, but a second sink in an older home is not a deal breaker, IMO. Millions of homes do not even have a master bath and they still sell.

That's *not* the point.

That's *not* the point.

You obviously don't get out much. Everything we've ever done on a house was measured against "how (un)saleable does this make the house" yardstick.

Do you paint you walls black hoping that you'll find the one similar loon that will think it's a pretty shade?

Why not? If you like black wall, go ahead. Sure it would make it harder to sell as is, but for $20 and a couple of hours work, it will have a fresh paint job come sales time. Meantime, you got years of joy from the funereal setting in your own home.
If you move about the country every two years, it may pay to look at resale value when making renovations. But to deprive yourself of a feature for years just because the house may sell a bit easier 20 years from now seems rather foolish to me. Sort of like buying an appliance and never using it because it will wear out.
A house is just another "thing" or "possession", albeit a costly one. It can be taken away in an instant. There are far more important things (mostly people) in life than getting an extra couple thousand dollars many years from now.

Agreed. We both plan to be carried out of this place. I couldn't care less about resale value. We're childfree, so if any of DH's family are still alive when we kick (I'm an only child of only children), then we might leave it to them. Most likely, however, the Animal Shelter will receive the house and whatever $ we have left.

House shopping, I've learned to look past the "obvious".
Motorcycle oil stains in the carpeted living room, motor oil rings around the bath tub. Walls painted like a disco and such.
If the house in a good location has good bones, something's can be looked past.
Smitty Two wrote:

How about a compromise? Couldn't the extra sink be covered with a scrap piece of plywood?

You're an idiot, but there is nothing new here.

No, she seems quite sane.

Plans always change, particularly in this economic climate and it's not going to get better soon.

She was asking if it was smart to take it out. Asked and answered.

I answered her question. You're the idiot who thinks he knows all.

When you're ready to sell, you'll care. You'll be painting everything back beige.

You're an idiot. So what?

You're an illiterate, too.

No, you won't sell it because that "pussy" may have been the only one who otherwise wanted your house. IOW, you're an idiot, but that's been said before.
On Sep 5, 10:50am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

We paint the walls whatever color we like, because we're the ones who live there. If the unthinkable happened and we had to relocate to find a job, we'd re-paint some of them a neutral color. It doesn't take long to do (buy) that sort of paint job.
When my estate sells the house, I don't care how much they get for it.
Cindy Hamilton

Exactly. She asked and my advice is leave the second sink, if at all possible. Never limit yourself unnecessarily.

That's a different discussion. There may be no way to solve this problem but there also is no reason to make things unnecessarily worse.
Kate wrote:

If you leave the plumbing, it wouldn't be all that expensive to put back the second sink when you decided to sell.
nancy