Remodeling Question

Page 1 of 3

I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.
Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space and was wondering what to do.
Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks for resale value, even though I plan to stay here?
Thanks.
Kate
Kate wrote:

TWO sinks in a SMALL master bath?
Very, very few (like maybe seven) master baths in the whole country have two sinks and in five of those the second sink is used as a urinal.
Ditch the second sink and replace it with a plant.
On 9/2/2010 7:25 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Your landlord might be a redneck if you tell him that you got a leak in the sink and he says: "Go right ahead." (Foxworthy, I think)

Jeff

I don't believe any of the houses we looked at had a single sink in the master bath. While a single sink wouldn't turn me off (a small master would), it would be an immediate NO SALE for SWMBO.

Depends on the size of the counter, IMO. If it looks like they were crammed in just to put a mark in that check-box, then I'd dump the second sink. If both sinks are usable simultaneously, I'd keep them.

Never saw the fascination for two sinks. "When I'm in the bathroom, I don't want company, nor do I want to be company for another part. In 45 years of marriage, I don't recall any conflicts over sink use. YMMV.

What I want and what you want isn't what everyone else wants. I don't care either. SWMBO certainly does. Like I said earlier, a single sink would have been a deal killer when we bought this house. OTOH, the deal killer for me would have been no shower (she wanted the tub, even though she's never used it). Again, this is dependant on the level of the house. I wouldn't expect either in a smaller house.

I'm with you. We do have two sinks, but they are on different sides of the bathroom. Even when I did have residences with two sinks, how many times were both used at the same time? Right now, rarely is the time when both sink/vanities are used at the same time. It's kind of a human condition thing. When I'm in there, I want to be alone. When she's in there, I'd rather be doing something else. Every once in a while, we need to get in there at the same time, but not often.

I just remembered the realtor's spiel in the first house I saw with 2 sinks [1971 or so]. The second sink was for soaking undies and pantyhose.
We didn't buy that one. I've been married 3 times and none of my wives ever had a need to soak delicates in a sink. Not saying nobody does-- but there isn't a lot of silk out there anymore.
Back to Kate-- Did you ever use/want/admire the 2 sinks. If not- get yourself some more counter space.
Jim

My wife and I both work. We sometimes end up using both sinks in the morning. We definately go to bed at the same time so we regularly are using both sinks at the end of the day. As to the op's situation, it's really hard to say without some pictures. "Small" is subjective.

Ah, so you know my wife better than I. You went house hunting with her twice in the last three years. <what a maroon>

You're wrong. She'd never "want to redo the bathroom" in a new house. Apparently she's not alone because *every* house in our price range had two sinks in the master. A single would have simple elicited a "next", just as Formica counters would have.

? WHAT? I don't know where you live but almost ALL master baths in new homes have two sinks and many of them have a built in vanity area on one with the other being several inches higher.
That being said, if it is a SMALL master bath, having the additional counter space may be a better way to go and would probably do more for the resale value than not having enough.
BobR wrote:

I live in a 3000' home with four baths*. None are dual.
----- * Kinda misleading. It's actually two 1500' duplexes converted into one single-family residence. Further, the family consists of one (me), but that may change this week-end as my current squeeze moves in.
I say "may" because she's driving back from Buffalo, NY and, who knows, she may have met a 5'4" Spanish dance instructor named Gomez who sports a pencil-thin mustache and wears patent leather shoes.
It's happened before.

The two of us live in a 2600ft^2 house with three bedrooms and four bathrooms (one a half). The master-master has a dual. The guest room en-suite bathroom does not.

Uh-oh. There goes the neighborhood.

Ah, a three-way. You're going to need *two* more sinks.

TMI.

? WHAT? I don't know where you live but almost ALL master baths in new homes have two sinks and many of them have a built in vanity area on one with the other being several inches higher.
That being said, if it is a SMALL master bath, having the additional counter space may be a better way to go and would probably do more for the resale value than not having enough.
reply: I agree. Saying the space was smallish, I would rather have the extra counter top rather than a small top with no room for anything because of two sinks. How often in reality are both the sinks used at the same time? We recently remodeled the bathroom, and changed from two sinks to two sinks. There was a long countertop with two sinks. We made that one sink, then added another sink on the opposite side of the bathroom where there was a shelf. It worked our great, but our master bath is "large". Large bathtub, two countertop sinks mirrors medicine cabinets etc, toilet, and large tile shower. With a smallish space, crowding too many things in there really affects the whole ambiance of the room. I'd go with the single sink.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. http://cabgbypasssurgery

Hard to say. If 2 sinks in the master is common in your area in similarly priced homes I'd try to keep them both. How about one of those shelve systems that straddles the toilet?
On 9/2/2010 5:01 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

We do see a lot of homes with two sinks in the master bathroom.
Thanks.

Well if you take one out then you do run the risk that a buyer would see that as a negative. I know we use both of ours at times. I'm looking at remodeling our lake house master and I'm considering switching it to a large shower with no tub. But still keeping the twin sinks. No matter what you do, there will be somebody that would prefer it differently.
Kate wrote:

If it is a counter with 2 sinks sunk in it - maybe make a cover for one of the sinks that makes it usable counter space?

What all the gear and labor for two new sinks would cost is worth having one nice one put in with nice hardware. We replaced two with a granite top, and a granite rock sink, and Moen fixtures rather than do two in a rather small countertop.
It's your house. Like your floor, do what YOU want. A single sink isn't going to kill a deal on your house, and if you're staying, what's the fuss? Do something real nice for yourself. You're going to be looking at it for a long time. Never say, "Oh, I wish I would have ............"
Steve

In spite of your lurid language, Smitty, I totally agree with you. The resale myth is done, gone, caput, with the housing market the way it is. People badly need some reality checks these days as the economy staggers along. McMansions are a drag on the market, and like it or not, practicality and frugality along with common sense may just be the wave of the future.
Joe