Remodeling house for sale, water damage to imitation wood panelling

Remodeling house for sale, water damage to imitation wood panelling

The basement family room has a couple walls finished in those 4x8 sheets of "wood" paneling. Each panel looks like serveral walnut boards running vertically with a black line between each board.

Because of basement flooding, about 4 inches up on each board there is a whitish area from the left side to the right.

Any suggestions for making the white parts look brown and black again?

They're going to test on a small spot whatever is suggested, but there really aren't any spots to test where no one will see it, so I hope they can hit the jackpot early.

I was thinking of Old English polish that includes the coloring. It comes in dark, the original, and light? How's that sound? Dark or light?

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

Whatever you put on as a topcoat may have bleed through anyway unless you remove the deposits. I'd probably pass on the house if I saw evidence of flooding or a cover up unless I knew what happened and if it was fixed. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's a problem a cover-up won't solve; that's one that needs fixing correctly. No decent inspector is going to miss it and it's going to raise the question of mold and what else is behind the paneling.

And, of course, the disclosure form is going to have to admit there has been a water problem.

This house has some serious problems clearly. Hoping to get a quick sale is probably out of the question unless a fair amount of work is done.

Some of what you've described is cosmetic; this isn't--it's a fundamental problem.

--

Reply to
dpb

=BDDark or

SELLER MUST DISCLOSE THERES A WATER PROBLEM! Even if you find a way to completely cover it up.

No disclosure leaves buyer suing them for water repair...

Nice first class EXPENSIVE repair

Reply to
hallerb

better to at least get quote from waterproffing contractor. a interior french drain is a great option, unless the area floods

Reply to
hallerb

Careful you're proposing doing a coverup of a serious problem.

I'd at this point advise disclosing and selling. This should have been fixed long ago.

This may mean it's best to just put the house on the market as-is, priced to sell.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

There is a way to make the repair a little less expensive -- cut off the bottom of the paneling at wainscot height and thin drywall the bottom w/ a moulding/chair rail at the seam.

Depending on how up front or devious you wish to try to be, I've seen it just laid on the surface ignoring the condition(s) underneath...

--

Reply to
dpb