Remodeling house for sale, smoke detectors

Remodeling house for sale, wireless smoke detectors

My friends were told if they want to sell their house, in Baltimore County, Maryland, they have to bring it up to code which means wireless smoke detectors.

One person thinks this means battery-operated.

The other person thinks this means that when one goes off, they all go off. The first person thinks this might be required for new houses, but doesn't believe any place in the US requires it before selling a used house.

The house has three bedrooms, right next to each other, on the first floor, and a room in the basement that could be used as a bedroom, and a powder room in the basement. The house has a front door, a back door, and a basement door. No garage.

Thanks

Reply to
mm

A phone call to the building department or fire inspector should clarify this issue. I've never heard of wireless smoke alarms being acceptable in NJ.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Agree. And I'd also check on the requirements for that basement bedroom before selling the house as having one. There are strict requirements on means of exit in case of fire for sleeping areas as opposed to say a rec room in the basement.

Reply to
trader4

I'd check with the local building inspector to be sure what he wants. Best to do a job only once.

As for that basement room, I'd call it a den. Call it a bedroom and you open up a lot of code issues as to means of egress. If it is a walk out basement it may be OK, but if not, there must be an opening, door or window, of some minimum dimensions.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski