Remodel plumbing: Lots of "thinking ahead"!

They say for plumbing, you only need to know two things. Poop does not flow uphill and the water valve is out front... Not so I am finding with old construction major plumbing replacement work!
I've only done limited plumbing work before, replace a water line, add a new line, replace a valve, etc. But now I am ripping out an entire water system and replacing it in an old 2 x 4 wall house...
And I'm learning this stuff is not easy! Lots of thinking ahead as to how you can and can't route the lines.
The running of plumbing lines (including large drain and vent lines) is quite contrary to 2 x 4 structural support and wood framing! There are bearing and sheer walls which can't have large holes cut in them. Or 2 x 4 floor joists which simply can't have large holes cut in them (no room to add additional support). Seems to do plumbing work, you need to be a bit of a structural engineer!
And you don't want to run a water line on an outside wall because it might freeze in winter.
Or maybe if you run a hot water line up in the ceiling, it will retain its heat longer...
...And the pipe can easily be run up that wall, and across that ceiling, BUT you can't cut a large hole in the top plate at the corner because it is a major structural support!
Adding a whole house water filter, you need to leave room below the filter so it can be removed for cleaning.
And thinking of maintenance/replacement in future years, how would someone disassemble a section of pipe? Humm... Should add a union there!
And on and on... I can't imagine how they did this with galvanized pipe way back when. (I'm using PVC/CPVC. I don't like PEX because I've heard too many tales of leaks.)
I think I like electrical work much better. Small holes you can drill almost anywhere and does not need to go in a straight line. And electric lines do not freeze...
Add pictures here
✖

I prefer electrical too.
But PEX is highly reliable and if you home run it from a manifold to the fixture future service is easy, just turn off that line, no Ts buried in walls. Plus PEX doesnt burst like copper if it freezes, it expands and contracts.
Add pictures here
✖

The rest of the plumbers mantra is, "cold is on the left and payday is Friday"

To judge how trades are structured, hang out at a distributor outlet as the journeymen pick up their supplies. The plumbers always look grungy, carpenters have tears in their faded jeans, other trades are somewhat disheveled. But the electricians show up in near new trucks, clean clothes and haircuts. Must be a lesson there.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

Aussie plumber? Here in NA, the cold is on the right. ;-)

Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 18, 5:52 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Same here in the states too mate.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖

Yes too bad I have a new Truck and most of it has been paid for by electricians who thought that plumbing was easy , no offence to electricians . LOL
Add pictures here
✖
a very important rule for plumbers, dont bite your fingernails......
Add pictures here
✖

If you have Delta single-knob control, simply pull the knob off and rotate it 180 degrees and put it back on. DAMHIKT.

Add pictures here
✖

Bill-
Where are you located?
Plumbers & electricians do more damage than termites to the typical home (civil engineering joke)
Plumbing can require a fair amount of wood removal if the framing & plumbing weren't both considered when the framing was done. I'm pretty sure that 2x6 framing is required (suggested?) for the plumbing walls.
2x4 floor joists?
You can cut holes, even fairly large ones, IF they are placed property (no notches!) and you can always add a large steel doubler. When I need to I use a steel piece 3/16 x 3.5" x ~14" to reinforce a top plate that has a large penetration.
Notches are another story, if you need to reinforce them, they need some serious help.
Unless your located in earthquake country, I wouldn't worry too much about the structural "support".
PEX rocks. It does not leak & its way faster and easier to install than PVC/CPVC. It's the perfect system for a re-pipe.
You're believing urban legends or perhaps mixing up PEX with PB.
Threading galvanized was really slow (pre-electric threaders) so one has lots of time to think and motivation to make sure the routing was correct.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖
Bill wrote:

Use PEX. Dealing with whatever leak that might pop up will be far easier than replumbing with conventional pipe.
In the best case, PEX can only leak at one of two places: The manifold or the terminus. Standard piping has a dozen places, from the main supply to the faucet, it could leak.
Add pictures here
✖