Remodel/New work recessed light: accessible junction box?

I know the NEC prohibits burying an electrical junction box behind a wall. I always wondered about remodel/new work recessed lights. They have a junction box connected to their frame; but once installed, can you really get access to that box??

To me, there doesn't seem to be a way to remove the actual can and access the adjacent junction box without breaking into the sheetrock. Did I miss something?

All comments appreciated. ~Theodore.

Reply to
millinghill

"Accessible" means it can be accessed without "disturbing the building finish". If you can get to the box by removing the light, it is accessible. If you put a removable cover on the wall, no matter how well disguised, you could "bury" a box behind it because it was still "accessible".

Reply to
gfretwell