Remodel can or new construction can?

I have about 50% of my ceiling sheet rock down.

I am about to purchase about 50 hi-hat recessed lights for various locations of the house. The problem is I can't decide whether I should get the remodel kind or the new construction kind. The housing will be the same size, same trim everything else is the same.

I originally thought I would get the new construction kind for where I have the ceiling sheetrock removed, and where I do not have the sheetrock down, I will use the remodel kind. That figures to be about 28 new construction and

22 remodel. All of them will be IC models.

But then I started thinking, is this a good idea, that some are remodel and some are new construction, if I need to replace one in the future, it would be difficult to remembe which is which, I can make a sketch and make some notes, but perhaps it's easier to use the remodel kind for all of them, get all the wiring in place, then hang new sheetrock then install the lights then.

Any comments?

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Use remodel for remodel and new construction for new. Once you pull the trim, it'll be obvious which frame is installed

Reply to
RBM

Well, if you decide to go with all the same kind, then you would have to go with remodel everywhere. This would mean that you could put up the ones that go where you still have sheetrock, then wait until it is all sheetrocked to put up the others. You certainly can't use new construction where your sheetrock is already up. So you can't put all new const. cans in.

You should put up the new construction (cheaper) where you can, and use remodel where you can't.

Reply to
Robert Allison

True. that makes sense, I wasn't thinking, must be all the plaster dust I have been breathing.

Reply to
MiamiCuse

That's what I will do then. Thank you!

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Are you sure you want can lamps? Latest remodel (and new) fashion is LED lighting. There could be an actual return on investment in a few years (low operating cost) plus not looking dated in a few years. Going to check it out for my rehab to simplify things. From the posts on this NG can lighting seems to be a royal PITA.

Joe

Reply to
Joe