Reminder: Postage rates up Sunday

Page 2 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com says...

Actually, I'd point out that Canadians have won plenty of Stanley cups in the past 20 years. Take a look at American hockey teams, and oddly you'll find tons of Canadian players.
As to the Canadian teams, part of the problem (which seems to be improved in the 'new' NHL) is that there hasn't been parity between the teams, payroll-wise. Large-market teams were able to lure good players because they had fat payrolls, leaving the smaller- market teams (including most of Canada) left in the lurch.

In 1972, long before the fall of the Iron Curtain, Canada beat the USSR in the Summit Series.
Christian Fox wrote:

Is this whole thing about Money = Bad? That does seem to be what you're saying in almost everything you wrote so far.
How's this: money sucks, the US sucks because it has money. About sum it up for you?

You point to something that happened 34 years ago as proof of...of what exactly? Nevermind, it doesn't matter.
I still don't understand exactly what button of yours got pushed by someone posting something a bit off topic. You're the one that over-reacted and started this stupid tit-for-tat campaign.
Do you feel better for venting? Are you winning yet? Please note, those are rhetorical questions
Christian Fox wrote:

I have nothing against Canada, I'm just pointing out something for Vivica here. When was the last time that a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup? I imagine you'll point to the Olympics or World Hockey Championships as proof of Canada's dominance, but recall Canada wouldn't have won anything since the late 50's if the meddling USA didn't meddle with the USSR and take down the Iron Curtain.
As far as bashing America, you're an amateur and an untalented one at that. We do a far better job of it ourselves than you ever could, so what's the point?

How's that GST these days?

The amount I pay in GST in a year is still far less than the average amount a typical American pays for private health insurance.
How are the American wars doing? You seem to have an ongoing "war on drugs" and a newer "war on terror". Any end in sight to either of them?
The USA prides itself on being a "peaceful" country, yet you spend more on your military than China, Russia, France, the UK, Germany, Italy, India, Japan, and Saudi Arabia COMBINED. In terms of raw military spending, those are the top ten countries, with the USA right on top.
says...

Except for China, I didn't know those other countries HAD a military. China does it all on manpower--they don't need any expensive high-tech equipment other than a few swords. What is Canada's military? Just a few fags dressed up in queer-looking red uniforms riding around on horses?
I pay $112 a year for private health insurance. That equals what--about $24 in Canada?
Actually, I feel sorry for you. I know several Canadians, and they are all either alcoholics or are suffering from bi-polar disorder. I guess that is what happens when you have that nasty beer to drink and eat that mad-cow beef.
You sound like a Newfie. Folks in Ontario are basically Americans because everyone knows that Ontario will soon be the 51st state.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that China's military gets by with nothing but swords. The Americans have the only modern, well-equipped military in the world, after all.

Those folks in red uniforms are the RCMP, and they only wear the red for ceremonial purposes. The RCMP is a national police force (sort of like the FBI), not the military. But I'm sure that's just a technicality to you - God forbid that you actually learn about how things work north of the 49th parallel.

You would appear to be spending far less than the average, or have a good plan from your employer. According to USA Today, the average family health policy costs around $11,000. Here's a link to the story that cited that number: http://tinyurl.com/7rppz

Your calculation of the exchange rate would peg the Canadian dollar to be worth well over $4.50USD. Last I checked, the Canadian dollar was worth a little bit less than the US dollar (but much stronger than it's been in a long time, since the US dollar keeps weakening). Currently, your $112USD equals about $130CDN.

I probably know far more Canadians than you do, and none of the ones I know are addicts or mentally ill. In any event, I don't think that either of our limited experiences with Canadians yields a very accurate picture. There are over thirty million of us, after all, and something tells me that only a small minority are addicts or mentally ill. I'd bet that the rates in Canada are similar to those in the USA.

As to the beer, that's a matter of preference (most people think Canadian beer is quite tasty). Regarding the beef, the chances of contracting Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) in both Canada AND the USA is basically zero. In both countries, only extremely isolated cases of the disease have been found, and not a single human case has been diagnosed.

You're wrong, culturally and geographically. I'm an Albertan.

I'll be sure to let the folks in Ottawa know. They'll be interested, I'm sure.
In what has to be the least publicized postal rate hike in memory here in Canada, the basic domestic letter price (0 - 30g) will increase by one cent, from $0.50 to $0.51 on January 16, 2006.
Just a service to the public of UseNet. I'm sure that lots of Canadians come here to read about home repair, and our friends in other countries must be clamouring to get this information as well.

I'm in the US, and liked getting a notice of their postage increase. That one is today (and to 39 cents), strange the postal service picked today, they don't work on Sunday.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Yeah. Strange.
About as strange as canada picking January 16th. Most of them NEVER work. They live off government handouts.
Go figure.....

Canada's unemployment rate is 6.5%. In the province that I live (Alberta), the unemployment rate is 4.1%, lower than the national rate of 4.5% in the USA.

That is why they chose today. Makes for a clean cutoff day from old to new.

So the postal service is incapable of changing quickly without getting confused?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Christian Fox wrote:

According to GE, who makes them, there are more MRI machines in Seattle than in the whole of Canada.

<http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnists/Robinson_Ian/2006/01/08/1383775.html <http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/news/nation/13577287.htm <http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Render&c=Article&cid 36675412574&call_pageid8332188492> <http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid 36589013224&call_pageid20420665036&col14656511815>

And, as we all know, diagnostic imaging is the be-all and end-all of health care. Cost to get a medically-necessary MRI in Canada: $0. Cost to get a medically necessary MRI in the USA: A lot more than $0.

What's your point? There certainly gun crimes in Canada, but they are considerably more rare than in the USA. Murders involving guns happen about EIGHT TIMES as often in the USA as in Canada. For 1987-96, the average firearm homicide rate was 5.7 per 100,000 in the U.S., compared to 0.7 per 100,000 in Canada.
says...

Nothing cost $0. It just comes down to the method of payment. The government gives you nothing, it takes from the people and re-distributes it. This is true in every country. Be assured, you are paying for it. My wife recently had an MRI. Cost to me, $0 out of pocket, but you can be sure the money came from me and others at some point.
Why do so many Canadians come to the US for elective surgery? They get tired of being on a long waiting list.

True in a sense, but I dare say that my taxes aren't $13,000 higher than they would be in the USA. Do Americans pay less in taxes because they've got private health insurance?

True, and some Canadians will choose to pay out of pocket for things like that. The Canadian health system tends to focus its efforts on essential services. Elective services tend to have longer waiting times.

Hard to say. We fund medical care for the indigent through our taxes. We have better care for those that cannot pay than the politicians let on. They just want to have control over our money. You'd have to do a full analysis on spending to make a conclusion.

So much for "free" medical care.

Perhaps, but most would say that the care given to those who can't pay is considerably better in Canada than in the USA.

Medical care in Canada isn't "free" - it's publicly funded and available to everybody. Put another way, you don't need to have a good job and good insurance to get good medical care.
I had a thought regarding cross-border medical shopping. If so many Canadians go to the USA for elective surgery, one might also wonder why so many Americans come to Canada (or shop online) for prescription medications... If people in the USA have such good health care and medical insurance, it shouldn't matter that the drugs cost more down there, should it?

Not true at all....rationed care (your system) hurts the poor as well as the not so poor.......our surplus of expensive imaging devices get used by the poor..... they just don't pay for it

Nor do you here.....I had a non insured cousin whom choose to play the horses instead of buy medical insurance.....with Kidney cancer he received full ,medical treatment including surgery, radiation and a eventual nursing home.....regrettably Kidney cancer often as not is terminal...he did gain 10 years with his non insured treatment though.

Duh!!!! ......The USA developed/invented owned drugs are sold at a lower price to the Canadian government(single buyer) than to our multitude of smaller pharmacies (purchasers).......include a bit of currency manipulation and for certain drugs that we sell you some individuals from here can buy them cheaper there than here....Our drug companies simply sell cheaper to you than they do to us......regrettably such anomalies will be temporary and cannot stand the test of full potential volume......flawed or otherwise that our system may be ..... how many life saving drugs has your system on its own developed? Rod