Reminder: Postage rates up Sunday

Page 1 of 4
In what has to be the least publicized postal rate hike in memory if ever the first class 1 oz rate rises Sunday Jan 8 to 39 cents. Postcards and additional ounces (I think) go to 24 cents.
snipped-for-privacy@SPAMBLOCKfilmteknik.com says...

Aside from stamps having NOTHING to do with home repair, this isn't an American forum. I'm pretty sure that people (like me) outside of the USA don't give a shit about your stamps being more expensive.

But with the rising cost we still won't be able to send you any gifts. Sorry about that.

Last I checked, my country (Canada) sent more aid to the USA last year than it received from the USA. We're the ones sending YOU the gifts...
Christian Fox wrote:

You didn't get hit with a ballistic missle last year, did you? Thank BMEWS (Ballistic Missle Early Warning System) and the DEW Line (Distant Early Warning). While Canada participates in both systems, the Canadian component is usually confined to post support (mowing the grass, etc.).
Private enterprise in the US sent thousands upon thousands of guns to Canada last year. Again, many people feel safer knowing they can now defend themselves. Like the missle warning systems above, you can't really put a price on preservation.

I think the reason most Canadians don't worry about being hit with missiles is that we don't have extremists intent on attacking us. Our foreign policies tend to help, rather than dominate, foreign nations.
The American preoccupation with "homeland security" is humorous to the hundreds of countries that simply don't worry about such things, because they aren't targets. Americans feel a compulsive need to protect their homes, their neighbourhoods, and their country from external threats.
It's easier (and WAY cheaper) to avoid pissing people off in the first place and therefore not worry too much about being attacked.
In any event, no amount of "homeland security" is going to prevent all possible threats.

Here in Canada we call it illegal smuggling. Many of the readily-available guns in the USA are prohibited in Canada.

Most Canadians don't feel the need to have a gun to defend themselves. Most gun owners in Canada use their firearms for hunting and target shooting, not self-defence. Our crime rate is low enough that we don't worry too much about things like home invasions, since they are incredibly rare.
I dare say that stress levels in Canada are lower, since most Canadians don't worry about being attacked all the time. Hell, many Canadians don't even lock the doors to their homes!

That is a good point that most Americans should at least listen to..... Let the world despots and murderers have a free reign, don't bother them or in any way impede their lustful conquests. Historically this has always worked out very well..... as long as either you have a desire to be a eventual victim or there is a USA to eventually bail out your sorry Ass.......Rod
PS.....Just curious what foreign policy do you currently have that has impacted the world in any meaningful sense? You do realize that you possess not enough power, prestige nor influence to impact virtually any country of the world no matter how poor or evil?

I'm late to this discussion, but I think the problem is that America doesn't have the "high ground" on getting rid of "despots" and "murderers". America has done fuck-all in countries that obviously needed aid - think of Rwanda ten years ago, for example. America (a supposed "democratic", "rule of law" country) has quite a large number of people held in prisons all over the world without trial or conviction - Guantanamo Bay is a prime example. It's hard to play the "we're the good guys" card with those kinds of things happening.

Canada funds the UN fully in line with its obligations. The US doesn't (look it up). Canada supplies peacekeepers as much as possible to support UN projects around the world.

Why is it that you insist on labeling other countries as "evil"? Have you ever stopped to realize that a LOT of people in other countries label the USA as "evil"?

The next time you order condoms on Ebay, you will be paying more... But please keep using the condoms so you dont reproduce !!!
says...

LOL
Don't worry about him. He's just a fucking foreigner WISHING he could live in these United States.....

Actually, I'm a proud Canadian, thrilled NOT to be living in the USA. Odd how you describe people from other countries as "fucking foreigners". It just proves my point -- on the whole you're a bunch of pompous assholes that think they're better than everyone else.
I'll stay here in Canada, where I get good quality, publicly-funded health care, a sane public pension system, and don't have to worry about getting shot. Oh, and we have 100% less GWB than you guys, which is just the icing on the cake.
says...

More reasons it's better to live in Canada - better benefits for parents (my wife took a full year off to take care of our first child, and received employment insurance payments for the entire year, and was guaranteed her job when she returned to work), less crime, and cleaner cities. Oh, and we don't really have to worry about getting killed by terrorists, because our foreign policies haven't pissed people off too much.

Good. Stay there.

I agree with yo there. The OP should not assume that you fuck, when in fact, perhaps you just jerk off.

That IS good news.

Actually you proved my point. You could have just ignored the thread.

Good. We don't need any more assholes.
says...

Nah. Bashing America is the second Canadian national pastime (the first is hockey).

Indeed. You've got far more of them than anybody would expect. The standard allotment for most countries is one per person. Somehow Americans have managed to get spares.
says...

Bite me you dumb-ass Canuck.....

Excellent comeback. It seems that the American wit is at an all-time high.
Christian Fox wrote:

A great American statesman, Al Capone, once said "I don't know what street Canada is on."
I, myself, have always regarded Canada as America's attic: A place to stash the crazy aunt.

Odd how you consider a member of a criminal gang to be one of your "statesmen".

It's the ignorance and contempt for other nations that is the chief complaint "foreigners" have about the USA, and your attitude is a prime example.
Most people outside of the USA do _not_ wish that they were Americans, or that they could live in the USA. Most people living in other countries do _not_ envy America's political system. The USA is _not_ the only democratic country on the planet.
Put another way, America viewed from the outside is not viewed as the Shangri-la that Americans think it is. Many Americans are so convinced of the "America is the best country" mantra that they don't realize that they're spending huge amounts of their lives working in pointless jobs, living paycheque-to-paycheque, just so that they can buy the latest whiz-bang gadget to impress their friends.
Christian Fox wrote:

I have nothing against Canada, I'm just pointing out something for Vivica here. When was the last time that a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup? I imagine you'll point to the Olympics or World Hockey Championships as proof of Canada's dominance, but recall Canada wouldn't have won anything since the late 50's if the meddling USA didn't meddle with the USSR and take down the Iron Curtain.
As far as bashing America, you're an amateur and an untalented one at that. We do a far better job of it ourselves than you ever could, so what's the point?