Remember those Comcast commercials?

They have been advertising for a long time "If you haveComcast cable, you don't need to do a thing". Turns out to be a lie. Here in Seattle, only channels below

29 will be available without a settop box. Exact date unknown for the change.

Will un-encrypted "QAM" channels go next?

Reply to
Bob F

They have a promotion where you get one digital box for the same price as the expanded basic. I agree if you have lots of TV type stuff (DVR,DVD-R,VCR) you need more boxes. Then satellite really starts looking good.

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't you have to have extra boxes with satellite also?

I have multiple tuner cards in my PC, plus a few TVs.

Anyone have any expertise on controlling more than one settop boxes from a PC for BeyondTV recordings?

Reply to
Bob F

Satellites usually bundle 4 boxes with their deals.

Reply to
gfretwell

You might find some help at:

Cheer, Jim

Reply to
Jim2009

Dumped Comcast a long time ago. Satellite beats Comcast.

Reply to
Phisherman

but you still pay every month (I think it's still $5/mo for each additional box).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Which satellite company?

Reply to
RLM

That's the way I remember it.

Reply to
Bob F

I understand you pay for everything, there is no free lunch, but 4 boxes are in their bundle deal. The comcast bundle only has one box. It is really not the cost of the box as much as the pain in the ass value of having one more thing to screw with when you want to record a show and the extra power it consumes.. These cable boxes run hot and hot = watts. Losing "cable ready" is going to be a good incentive to just lose cable.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yep, that's pretty much gonna be my experience as well; I'm kind of glad that they're doing it for me.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Weren't they the ones who tried to completely turn off analog on their Chicago system because the "government required them to do it"?

Reply to
George

dish network and a DVR digital video recorder.

schedules are mine to create, skip thru commercials:) and replay funny stuff or gorgeous gals.

one nite my wife spotted a topless gal on a beach scene on CBS.

the local stATION SAID ONLY FOLKS WITH dvrS WOULD OF CAUGHT IT

Reply to
hallerb

Or a wife...

Reply to
HeyBub

They said exactly that to me about the change above.

Reply to
Bob F