Relplacing shower head and controller...

Hi all,
I have a shower only setup off the master br that I want to replace. The name on the round plate says "tanadyne". I've never heard of that company...
Can I replace the shower head and (stem?) and the plate with any manufacturer's parts? I'm guessing that the fittings behind the wall might be different for differing manufacturers, however that is just a guess on my part.
Is Tanadyne a company that got bought by another company? The cover plate has two phillips head screws under the water controller.
Any suggestions? Can I replace it all or am I stuck with my Tanadyne?
Thanks,
Djay
djay,
Tanadyne is by Moen.
The finish pipe or beauty pipe (stem) is nothing more than 1/2" pipe thread to the wall side, which is connected to a 1/2" pipe fitting in the wall. More than likely a 90o elbow. So yes, you can install most any type of shower head you'd like.
djay wrote:

djay wrote:

Let me get this straight. You want to replace the shower control (aka "faucet"), not just the shower head. Right?
If so, there are many, many tricks of the trade one needs to know:
Is there access to the *other* side of the wall or will you have to open the wall on the shower side (we're talking a fairly big hole).
What kind of pipe is involved? Galv iron, copper, plastics?? How you deal with them is different.
A skilled tradesperson can replace your Tanadyne with just about any other brand, but as noted the kinds of connections depend on what's in the wall.
I'm not saying this can't be a DIY job; but it does rely heavily on experience.
Jim

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. You are correct that I would like to replace the whole thing. The plumbing is all copper and the access "behind the wall" on the otherside is a bedroom wall. That is to say that the bathroom wall and bedroom wall are one in the same and the plumbing is inside that wall. I believe that different companies bring the Hot and Cold into the "controller" differently and so I want to find a company that uses the same specs for plumbing that tanadyne used. It is comforting to know that Moen is Tanadyne so hopefully there are enough similarities between a newer set and the Tanadyne as to NOT have to bust an access hole in the BR wall. Thoughts?
DJay
djay wrote:

If you are desiring a different look why not just change the trim? Why do you want to change the valve body (controller) and all? What exactly are you trying to achieve?

From your post it's *obvious* that there are trim kits available? That's really what I (uhm... the wife) want to do. Who makes the trim pieces?
djay wrote:

That's what I thought. ;o) Moen. Check'm out.

Even if everything matches up. I can't imagine any way to sweat the pipes along with whatever else is necessary to replace the faucet without cutting a hole in the wall.