Relocating Washer/Dryer

I recently bought a townhouse where the washer/dryer are in the kitchen. My kitchen is tiny and I'm looking for some more space to build a pantry. I'd like to move my washer/dryer into the coat closet. The coat closet shares the same wall with the washer/dryer now...

Is this something I can do myself? If so, any suggestions on how to get started? And if not, who can I hire? Do I need to get a plumber and an electrician?

Unless you are experienced with plumbing, electrical, ana carpentry work, you need a contractor to do the work. Before you get involved with finding a competent, reliable contractor, do some planning. Measure the space needed to accomodate the washer and dryer; compare that with the coat closet. Doors wide enough to give access to the washer and dryer will need some room when they are open. Check that the doors will not cause a disruption with traffic flow or other doors. Think about where dirty and clean laundry go. Will there be room for that and will it be a problem for movement of people or for appearance if you have guests? T

Reply to
tbasc

Wouldn't it be easier to turn the coat closet into a pantry?

Reply to
HeyBub

Is this one item, or do you just like to punctuate?

Where does your washer drain now?

Assuminhg you've asswered tbasc's qustions ok, the easiest way might be to put a hole or holes in the wall and put the washing machine hoses and the dryer and washer cords and the washer drain and the washing machine ground wire, through the hole or maybe holes, and connect everything to where it is connected now. They could be covered by pantry food.

Which of the above things can you do more attractively than my suggestion?

Where does your washer drain now?

And if not, who can I hire? Do I need to get a plumber

Reply to
mm

Oh, yeah. You probably don't ever turn off your washing machine valves now, and are even less likly to when they are behind the food, so now would be a good time to put something in to take the pressure off the water hoses when the machine is not in use, so they don't burst.

Reply to
mm

Yes. I've already answered all of those questions. The dirty/clean laundry will go a lot better in the closet than the middle of my kitchen floor :) And there is a door on the coat closet...so the appearance will be hidden.

The most difficult part will be the drain. You can do anything or have anything done, the only thing is how much will it cost.

I would call a plumber and have them poke around and see what your options are. Be prepared to allow the plumber to cut out sections of wall if necessary to see where the pipes are running.

Anyway see where the drain can be moved to. Then after that, fairly easy to move water lines. Electrical is easy.

So plumber, then electrician, then drywall person to fix walls. Maybe carpenter to build some cabinets for you.

Reply to
Bill