relocating ground wire

thr ground wire from my circut box is connected to the water supply pipe from my well,a new supply pipe will soon be replacing it.but it will PVC my outside meter box is grounded to a 10Ft. rod. can i bug my breaker box ground to my meter box ground rod or should i bury another ground rod to hook to. also when i remove the ground from the breaker box should i kill the main breaker.

Reply to
mhc50

You didn't provide enough information for a definitive answer. Also don't rely on free advice from unqualified sources for something so vital to the safety of your home. You may be able to get free advice from your local building inspector, otherwise call an electrician.

Reply to
Bob

You should probably contact the authority having jurisdiction in your area, but yes, typically you'd drive another ground rod, and also bond the panel ground to a 3/4 inch cold water pipe

Reply to
RBM

Is that a metallic pipe?

Piece-out/extend the ground wire (if necessary) and ensure it STAYS CONNECTED to the old, metallic pipe. Your grounding system will be unchanged assuming the old pipe is simply abandoned (left) in place. Easy.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs