Relay and Contactor based GENSET BACKFEED PREVENTER?

Page 3 of 3
Excellent suggestion.
Ig, you come across as an enterprising and resourceful individual. I would suggest focusing your talents on something that is not so dangerous to...
- your finances - your power company employees
If this homebrew setup would fail with fatal results for someone, you will be on the hook litigation wise. There are reasons why sometimes we spend the money on UL listed products, have a licensed electrician do the work and have inspections....all to cover us legally.It only takes one fatal failure to wipe you and your family out financially.
Let know how you end up doing it.
TMT
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 15:21:20 GMT, Ignoramus25850

Go get yourself a UL Listed transfer switch of some sort. The cheapest way is a Double-Throw safety switch. Looks just like the fused disconnect for a motor, but the lever goes On-Off-On.
Or do some heavy-duty scrounging and buy a new or good used automatic transfer switch that you can install. DO NOT TRY TO INVENT THIS YOURSELF. It is life-safety critical, and there is absolutely no reason for you to reinvent the wheel. Better you should pay a bit for the right equipment - Use a proven design.
If your homebrewed transfer switch design is flawed, creates a backfeed and kills a lineman or two working on power restoration (or even just surprises the hell out of them when they find out the line is energized) I can guarantee that they will find you, and that the proceedings will not be pleasant.
If you do anything permanent, get it checked out and passed by the local building inspector, and by the local utility. This is critical.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
If your house is insured it will be void if you install the device. The insurance companies frown on anything that is not UL approved. Michelle
Ignoramus25850 wrote:
Incorrect. If the loss was due to the non-compliant device, then you may have a problem collecting. If the loss was due to something else, the insurance company must cough up.
Steve Spence Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org Contributing Editor, http://www.off-grid.net http://www.rebelwolf.com/essn.html
Michelle P wrote:

Could you give us a reference please? What other things might I do that will void my home insurance? Can you give us a specific case where someone lost their home and then had the insurance company refuse to pay because a non-UL device was installed somewhere in the house?
Thanks Vaughn

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:16:00 GMT, "Vaughn"

will not insure a building with aluminum wiring unless it has ALL DEVICES either replaced with COALR devices or every connection pigtailed to copper with a certified device - and an inspection to prove it. Any Knob and tube left in the house and they won't touch it. A wood stove that is not certified? No insurance. Not installed to code? No insurance. Many other conditions as well. I'm not an insurance agent, nor do I play one on TV, but I AM the IT guy for a pretty big brokerage.
Coverage HAS been denied. One of the stickiest players in Canada is ING - and they own half the business.
Then it must depend on the area. I had a family member insure a home with knob & tube just last week. From a fire standpoint, knob & tube is perfectly safe. The main problem with K&T is lack of a ground conductor, and lots of homes still have that problem.

My question was about claim denial, not coverage, but thanks for the info.
Vaughn