Reinstalling a window - possible?

I had a concrete exterior wall with an 72" wide opening which I am installing a window.

Miami code says the width is too much for one window so it has to be installed as two windows, so be it.

Now the problem is the window guy came to install the window, I think he put too much depth on the bucking on top and too little in the bottom, so now I have no room to slide the 1" marble window sill under it.

The installer suggest that I just push the marble sill against the face of the frame and if I did that it would create two problems - one, all the other sills in the room have the same sill, now one would be sticking out an inch more than the other (or I can cut it I guess) and two, the window has a "crank arm" for the awning window and this crank arm is attached to the frame. If I push the sill all the way to the frame, the sill would be blocking off the two screws at the bottom of the crank arm that attach it to the window frame. So if one day I need to replace or repair the crank, I cannot remove it, not without knocking out the sill.

I really don't like that. So I asked him if he can reduce the bucking on top and increase the bucking at the bottom to "lift" the window. He said yes he can do that, just remove the window and reinstall it again.

But I remember reading in this newsgroup some time ago on another thread, that for windows designed to be installed on masonry wall once you have installed it you cannot reinstall it a second time, something to do with the flange I don't remember any details. I am trying to make sure that it is OK to remove and reinstall a window an inch higher if there is room to play and one is willing to seat the bucking.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
nmbexcuse

None of my windows have bucks on the bottom, just sides and top. The bottom of the windows hang over a pre-cast sill that is lower outside, higher inside so as to prevent water intrusion. Ask your installer about that.

Reply to
dadiOH