reinstall toilet

I have just replacedthe vinyl floor in the bathroom with cement board/ceramic tile. I easily removed the toilet, but have questions about the reinstall. I believe I can do it, but am concerned about the wax seal. The floor is raised above the original by about a half an inch. Can I just use the same bolts and get a new seal, or is there something more complicated that needs to be done? Thanks JD

Reply to
JD

Wax seal with flange then put a plain wax seal on top of the first one, You might get away with one but if it leaks you have to pull it. Install the water closet don't even hook up the tank, pour some buckets of water in it ( it will flush ) to see if it leaks. . If it looks good put shims under it so it dose not rock. I don't caulk around it for about a week to make sure it's water tight. I also leave a spot at the very back with out caulk so if something should ever leak you will see it right away (better than water going under floor) I would suggest eating light for the first week Break in time.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I did the same thing about four months ago. Used 1/4" hardie board backer over the plywood subfloor. When complete the waste pipe flange was about flush with the floor. A single wax seal did the job and it has not leaked. Just make sure you get the toilet set so that it does not rock or move around. May have to shim.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

If its as much as a half inch, I'd get one of the proper things they sell to build up the flange. I am not sure of the name, buy most building supply centers or larger hardware stores sell them.

Two was rings (the top one without the plastic center) might work, but a half inch is pretty excessive. Why take a chance of wrecking your floor for under $10.

Reply to
anoldfart2

That's what I did. I raised my bathroom floors about 3/4" (1/2" hardibacker plus tile) and used one of those plastic spacers to raise the flange about a 1/2". Amazingly those supposed know-nothings at Home Depot told me what to do. No leaks. The spacer makes a nice template to cut the backer and tile, as well as a widget (with an application of duct tape) to keep stuff from going down into the sewer while the toilet is off.

About $2, IIRC (I bought four for less than $10).

Reply to
Keith

Reply to
nospambob