Reinstall Metal Bathroom Soap Dish?

Last night, one of my teenage kids (who is special-needs & has occasional anger-management issues) ripped the recessed metal soap dish out of the wall just above the bathtub. The soap dish was apparently mounted in a cutout in the wallpaper-covered drywall, and attached with screws to a stud behind the drywall. We found bits of stud in the bathtub along with the soap dish, so it looks like we'd have to replace or reinforce part of a stud to reinstall it. Assuming we try to reinstall the existing soap dish, what would be involved, and about how much would it cost to have someone who knows what he's doing perform this repair? Alternatively, would it be easier and cheaper to cover the hole (with a square of drywall cut to fit the recess for the old soap dish) & install a surface-mount soap dish? (My spouse & I have fairly limited home repair skills, but we're also trying to put 2 kids through college, so thrifty, workable solutions within our skill level would be greatly appreciated.)

-------------------------------------

Reply to
CatherineMcClarey

a picture posted somewhere of the dish and the hole would help.

it could just be a matter of getting longer screws.

Reply to
chaniarts

Is the soap dish reusable? If it is not damaged, if the screws just broke off, then the best thing to dois remount it, with caulking around the edge to keep water from getting into the drywall. If the screws pulled out of the wood, which is what it soundsl like you are describing, fill the old holes with a mixture of wood glue and wooden toothpicks, let it dry a day before putting the screws back in. If the screws broke off, you may be able to pull what is left out with a pair of pliers, and then fill the hole as above.

Reply to
hrhofmann

If it still fits the hole and flushes to the wall, longer screws and a liberal application of a quality caulk, both behind the lip and around the perimeter, should solve your problems for well under $10.

Reply to
Colbyt