Reinforcing Corian?

I am making a router tabletop out of 1/2" corian. The Insert is 3/8", leaving 1/4" of corian. That might be strong enough, but I sure don't want to chance it. I would like to reinforce the bottom. I can glue plywood or more corian to the bottom around the cutout to strengthen it.

Would plywood (1/2"?) be adequate, should I use corian, or something else? Is epoxy a good choice for the glue, or maybe polyurethane? Is glue adequate, or should I work some bolts into it as well?

Reply to
Toller

Hello Toller:

I like the idea! Corian sink cutouts ought to be readily available; might try that myself....

One issue with plywood is differential expansion. If the plywood absorbs moisture it may swell, and the table might not remain flat. I would either use 3/4" corian or glue another piece of corian---at least a few inches wide if not full width---under the groove for the insert.

Polyurethane glue holds like the dickens, but it also expands significantly as it cures. The "slow" or 2 hour epoxy sold at hobby stores is about $8-10 for two 4 oz bottles and should work well. Sand the surfaces and clean thoroughly before gluing.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

Reply to
tom

"Toller" wrote in news:v7LEg.7749$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Glue the entire piece of Corian to a 3/4" substrate,preferably birch plywood for rigidity;otherwise,the Corian will eventually sag from the weight of the router.

Epoxy is fine,the right kind,of course. I'd use West System or System Three and the right filler.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have a half gallon of Wests just a few feet from my router. Is there any household product I can use as a filler, or must it be purchased? I have used sawdust as a filler before, but not in an application where failure could be hazardous.

Reply to
Toller

"Toller" wrote in news:ucREg.7794$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

West makes several different fillers,one of my favs is fumed silica. Other fillers are plastic microfibers,chopped glass fibers,phenolic microballoons,and wood dust. Fibers add strength and crack resistance,microballoons are for lightweight filler.Fillers are mainly used for gap-filling and anti-sag or no-drip properties,or for "fairing";filling in the weave of glass cloth in fiberglassing. Only the fiber fillers add strength.

System Three's website has a free download of The Epoxy Book,a great guide on how to use these types of epoxy and fillers.

With wood underlayers,you need to first apply a coat of unfilled epoxy for the wood to absorb,otherwise you get a glue-starved joint.

IMO,that spray-on contact adhesive for laminates would be the easiest glue to use.

Reply to
Jim Yanik