Regular Light Bulbs on a Dimmer?

If you wanted to install a dimmer switch on an existing light switch, is it ok to use regular 60 watt light bulbs on a dimmer circuit or are there special bulbs for dimmers? (Note: I don't want the little lights usually used on dimmer circuits like those in a chandelier, just regular bulbs).
Yes I agree after changing hundreds of them from apartments buy the rotary one rather than the slammers as I like to refer to the
-- On My Wa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- On My Way's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=1 View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?tW68
Rob wrote:

Hi, Just swap out the switch with dimmer. Regular light bulb stays. Most dimmers are rated upto 600 Watts. Some has rotary(I prefer this) vs. some has push button on/off switch(keeps breaking the knob). Good luck, Tony

You can use the same bulbs. Dimmers are great for bulb life as well. In our home, which is 5 years old, almost everything is on dimmers (we got a Lutron Homeworks whole house system, but that's another story) we have replaces one bulb. Yes, ONE bulb replaced in 5 years. That speaks volumes to me about the extended bulb life. We buy regular GE light bulbs too, nothing special.
Get the dimmer, I think you'll be happy :-)
Chris

Most dimmers are for the common filiment light bulbs. The shape of the glass does not make any differance. There are special dimmers for the floursence tubes. Just be sure that the total wattage of the bulbs to be dimmed is the same or less than what the dimmer is rated.