REGISTRY CLEANER

Page 4 of 4
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/magazine/14Hacker-t.html?ref=todayspaper&pagewanted=print
The Great Cyberheist
By JAMES VERINI

Believe that was called RegClean.exe
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:11:37 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

My question was prove Gibson is a "con man". Don't avoid this but give us an answer.
Over a decade, plus, his site has never caused harm here.

world over the years.
Hysterical ramblings, politics and drivel snipped .........
I use a free Eusing registry cleaner. All I know is that when my computer starts stumbling, I do an internet options - delete browsing record, and a Eusing registry cleaner, and it pops right back. I use free Comodo virus program, and a Adaware malware program.
But then, I've read here from obviously intelligent people that it doesn't work.
But then, it's my computer, so I'll do what I please, thank you very much.
Steve

I NEVER said his site caused any harm...only that "I" see him as a con- artist!

yeah, they do more harm than good. The only "extra" software I use is for removing programs: REVOuninstaller. You have the option to remove all registry traces when you uninstall a program.
On 11/13/2010 4:11 PM, Oren wrote:

I have successfully used a registry cleaner back in the days I was running XP Pro. Many times it helped me nuke a program that I couldn't get rid of any other way. I never caused my system to implode.
Registry cleaning isn't something that a person ought to do routinely. I saved it for stuff I couldn't get rid of any other way. Some programmers are particularly nasty when it comes to telling them "no".
Jay

Comodo System Cleaner seems to work pretty good. My laptop was crashing daily and after I ran Comodo it's been working much better. I did do a defrag at the same time though,
It's free too.
Jim
Oren wrote:

Obviously you've never heard of the Placebo Effect.
Microsoft offers a Registry Cleaner for free.
As best we can tell, it does absolutely nothing. But users report they feel better after applying it.
And their fulminating, fungating, pustules dried up and disappeared.

Stick to home repair advice.
Bob Villa wrote:

I try, even though I own a small software company.
For example, in the post you referenced, I offered no advice at all.

Registry cleaners remind me of a loose crescent wrench. Don't know if it will bust a knuckle and don't know how much it tightened the nut. If you want a clean system, get an imager. Ghost, Acronis, etc. Takes care of EVERYTHING if used right.
--Vic

Sure I have. Ain't that when they pull the wool over your eyes?

And dam fine registry editors.

Good. I'm glad they feel glad.

Slight of hand?
In wrote:

Wrong. Not only that but there are millions of satisfied users and techs who have used them very successfully. The phrase "cleaning" the registry is silly because the good ones do a LOT of tests and repairs where needed, all perfectly safe with no more danger than installing any other program that makes modifications to the registry.
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:04:48 -0500, "Twayne"

Like I said no proven facts.
I'm wrong? Maybe your cite of millions can correct me.( Which way did they post? Which way did he go? Which way did he go? ) How fast did it go?
Millions stand in line every day -- it won't mean they are correct.
On 11/13/2010 4:11 PM, Oren wrote:

No, but it sometimes solves nasty incomplete uninstallation problems. Not everyone uses revo. Personally, I find the registry cleaner in the free Glary utilities package to be the best combination of easy to use, effective, and safe. No matter which registry cleaner I've ever tried, I ALWAYS create a registry restore point prior to the cleaning. Fortunately, I've never needed to use the restore point, but it gives me a better feeling of (false?) security.
On Nov 13, 12:50pm, Jeremiah Mcelroy

Hee Hee!
This looks like an open armed invitation to virus, malware, adware and other mischief.
RonB