REGISTRY CLEANER

Page 3 of 4
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:52:35 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

Don't forget the last one, Windows ME. It wasn't much of an improvement over 98, but it does exist.

The perfect reasons folks stayed with Win 98 SE. The most stabile at the time. Then came later, good versions of NT4 with a registry editor.

Computers are like women. Miss a programming period and they go haywire on you.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:00:35 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Why use a disk editor when a file editor will work?
(The poster is talking about Microsoft DOS edlin command...)

Edlin? Real men used copy con and control-Z!
-- Bobby G.

Edlin *is* a disk editor.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:12:37 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Norton Disk Doctor was a disk editor.
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:42:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I was remembering that Edlin would read disk sectors. A bit of research tells me I need to do more research. I worked for IBM at the time, so used their internal tools, so obviously misremembered Edlin incorrectly.

That was "debug" (to edit disks directly).
-- Bobby G.
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:16:35 -0500, "Robert Green"

Doh! <slap>

remember edlin <= guess so.

== Yes I remember edlin but I would just as soon not. It was very clunky I believe but it worked if one used it right.
Do you remember GEOS for Commodore 64? After you got it loaded there wasn't a helluva lot of memory left to run your programs. A good many people don't even believe that the Commodore 64 had a "Windows" like OS but they did 'cause I had it. It came out in 1986 and was over- priced at the time in my opinion. Mind you I didn't have an awful lot of money to spend on computers and such at that time. Even dot matrix printers sold for around the $300 to $500 mark in our neck of the woods. Now you can get a reasonable ink-jet printer for as low as 50 or 60 dollars complete with ink cartridge(s). Thanks to the Chinese computers and peripherals have never been so inexpensive. ==

It was clunky, but it was POWERFULL. Compared to edit, it was a genius.

A fully functional myli-user, multi-tasking OS on 32K of ram (might have even been functional on 16K)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

This whole thread is starting to sound like retired commissioner Regan on the Blue Bloods TV show - "Well back in the day...." :-)

Solve the entire registry problem easily. Use linux.
nb

== Well Lum, I remember when the only computer peripheral we had was made of wood and graphite and had a sharp pointy end which interfaced with unbleached paper and could be manually manipulated in such a way as to solve complex mathematical equations and such. Them was the days...I remember them well. ==

Well back in the day....

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2142tfs.jpg
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:29:47 -0800, Roy wrote:
[snip]

I used a word processor that ran on that. It accurately simulated a manual typewriter by including all the sounds. You'd get:
bang bang bang bang bang bang ding bang bang click clang bang bang bang bang bang bang
[snip]
--
38 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

I use WinASO, it was highly rated by CNET when it came out..Hasnt caused any crashes yet
--- ---