Refurbishing toolshed

Hey, folks. You're talking to a minimally handy fellow, but I'm going to try!
I have a fairly small toolshed that looks really lousy but is still in good structural shape. I can tell that the previous owners put a layer of some kind of 1/4" wood in small panels, and nailed those panels in with a whole lot of nails. I'm thinking of adding a whole new layer of wood to that, perhaps something with 1/4" of thickness. What is the best type of wood for this? I am thinking some type of soft plywood, but am not sure. Also, if someone reading this is in the Eastern Mass area and can recommend me a good lumber yard where my lack of knowledge will not be exploited, I'd be much obliged.
Regards John

You can buy plywood which is also siding. It is called T-11 for some reason and is available at most yards, HD for sure. It is not much more expensive than plywood and gives you finished surface which can be painted or stained. It may be the least expensive type of siding there is and is also easy to install. Once you recognize it you will see it everwhere. Here is a link to give you the idea.
http://www.protek-usa.com/PDF_Files/T1-11%20Siding%20Solutions.pdf
Not sure if the OP is looking for siding or interior strength/looks. -snip-

-snip-
I'd be tempted to use a T1-11 type product in either case- [pronounced 'Tea one eleven' in these parts] It is a brand name & there are several knockoffs at most lumberyards.
Jim