refurbish a painted deck...

We have been slowly making headway on scraping the deck with the Wagner paint eater. 4 ($14) replaceable pads have come and gone and the end is in sight (oh! all those spindles!).
The deck looks like an archaeological dig. In places it is scraped to the old (faux redwood looking) stain, in others down to the weathered layer of pressure-treated wood and others to more raw looking wood.
Now, before we finish-stain it, is it a good idea to put on an additional layer of anything or merely apply one or two coats of the chosen stain?
Cheers, HankC
Don Phillipson wrote:

I see Wagner has a new tool called the 'paint eater'. Does anyone have a review of this unit? Obviously on a deck not everything is flat or level... HankC
If it's a wooden deck try usung a heat gun to lift the old paint.
HankC wrote:

I just rented a floor sander from Home depot. Had to pound all the nails down, which was the hardest part, then sanded it smooth. Not that much work. Then restained it. One day job start to finish (16 x20). It was an 18 year old deck that looked pratically new when done.
Tom
TH wrote:

Did you do rails, posts, spindles, bannisters, etc?
The deck floor is not too difficult - it's the jointed areas and spindles...
HankC
HankC wrote:

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the deck. I did use a stripper and then a power washer for the railing and spindles. I recommend an oil penetrating stain. I used one called Penofin, soaks in deep. Apply to bare wood.