Refurbish a painted deck...

My deck was painted three years ago. Weathering has peeled a lot off except for the railing where most of the paint is yet adhering...
I have tried 3 different paint removers with lousy results. Pressure washers did a good job of washing but the effort required to remove the paint also removed the soft wood.
I'm wondering if staining over the remaining paint would give me anything close to tolerable results or just look like some awful tiger stripe impression.
The current color is fog gray with old stain showing throgh...
Thanks, HankC

That is why decks are usually stained, not painted. You can touch up stained timber or recoat it overall much more easily than you can prepare for thorough repainting (and old paint cannot really be touched up at all.)

Probably the latter. You can experiment by replacing one suitable deck board today, staining it, and leaving it out in the sun and for a few months.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

I see Wagner has a new tool called the 'paint eater'.
Does anyone have a review of this unit? Obviously on a deck not everything is flat or level...
HankC
floor sander.