Refrigerator won't start, was transported on its back!

Hi again,

Thanks to all those that replied to my original post!

First, the fridge is a "Westinghouse Monaco Frost Free". I've checked for the starting relay, and I assume it is the small part (in this model anyway) affixed to the compressor itself. Three small connectors forming a triangle extrude from the compressor and they insert in (what I identified as) the relay,holding it into place.

The relay also has a round moving part at the bottom that is held by some kind of connector. I assume that this part is responsible for starting the compressor and defines this gizmo as the relay.

Now, I'm not sure if it was malfunctioning but as I tried to pull one of the wire from the relay, a connector on the moving part was really frail and broke. So I'm getting a new one and hopefully it will fix the problem (yeah, right!).

I have to wait for that part as the store I went to had to order it. In the meantime, is there a way to test the compressor itself to see if it's working?

I dare not do anything with the three connectors coming out of the compressor without some advice first! I have a good meter and basic knowledge of electricity (enough to know that electricity is a very dangerous friend!).

Thanks again,

James Jones

Reply to
James Jones