Refrigerator water dispenser does not stop

I have a 10 year old Hotpoint side by side refrigerator with water and ice dispensers. Yesterday, the water dispenser would not stop dispensing water. I had to shut off the water supply to the frig. I would like to get it fixed and perferably fix it myself. Please advise on how to diagnose the problem and what to do. Thanks a million.

Reply to
Joseph

I had a similar problem, my Wife would fill up a glass with Coke & dump ice cubes into it. The soda would splash on the lever that activates the water valve leaving a sticky residue that would cause the switch to stick in the on position. When this happens I spray some 409 cleaner on the lever\switch & this fixes the problem. Maybe this is your problem.

Reply to
Patch

Hi,

For sure a sticky mechanism or switch is possible. A bad switch can stick on and keep the dispensor going as well :(

You may be able to get some on-line pics of your dispensor or some ideas on take apart info with your full model#...

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

The dispenser has an electrical switch which gives power to a water valve mounted on the back of the fridge. If that water valve is getting power even when the dispenser is not in use, the problem is likely in the dispenser mechanism.

The the water valve is not getting power but it still letting water through, it is like defective and needs to be replaced. You can read about how the water valves on appliance work at the following link:

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to