Refrigerator -- terrible smell!

While I agree with you on sugar, you are utterly wrong about milk, which is an excellent source of both protein and calories. It is also delicious.

Some people have trouble digesting it, I will give you that, but that is about the only caveat (unless you believe all the FUD articles that various crackpots put out about foods, in which case you're on your own).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

So, what's the received wisdom on citrus fruit, berries, vinegar and other acidic foods?

Apparently the pH of milk is 6.4 to 6.8 (which is pretty close to neutral). Why should it be more of a problem?

The pH of stomach acid is 1.5 to 3.5. You'd think that'd be certain, swift death.

Sounds like BS to me.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I keep it for the gardener's weekly coffee. I also use it in cold cereal but rarely. Do not drink it as beverage.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

(*&*&^%#%^**(+!!!! ME?! Never touch the stuff! Wish kids didn't either, drinking those awful fizzy sugared drinks that wreck the body, especially girls.

I have a 4-slice toaster of which 2 slices are working. Will that do it?

Bill me

I suspect it will turn out that way. When I pulled everything out of the freezer to clean it, I could feel the smell coming from the blast of air entering the freezer.

Now what do YOU mean by freezer pan? Another kind poster suggested I pull out & clean the drip pan from the bottom of the frig. Are there TWO pans??

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Who is "you"?

Well, if they are difficult to digest, that means I get some exercise without even leaving the dinner table, and for several hours after that, my body gets a work-out. So I get that without even trying. I'm glad.

But doesn't that only apply to people who have pain? I certainly don't, or anyone in my family.

No one in my family has that.

Reply to
micky

Nave retard...

Reply to
John Doe

HB -- I have a Whirlpool of about the same vintage and am having exactly the same problem (or, my tenant is).

Did you determ> Desperate! For over a month there has been a terrible smell coming from the refrigerator AND the freezer!!!

Reply to
ellenslavitz

Ten years ago, at our apartment, we had a foul odor issue, which was determined to be the freezer's automatic defroster heater. It had somehow come in contact with the plastic lining in the freezer and was slowly melting it, pro- ducing the stink!

Our landlord replaced the fridge on his dime. :)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Having the same problem and desperate for a solution ... did you ever resolve this?

Reply to
ralphdmorrison

Having the same problem and desperate for a solution ... did you ever resolve this?

Reply to
ralphdmorrison

Easy to fix. You take everything out. You toss what went bad. You clean the inside witha sanitizer or weak bleach solution.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is there an echo in here?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

replying to Higgs Boson, Lisa wrote: Mine is doing the same thing!!! Both frig & freezer smell

Reply to
Lisa

replying to Higgs Boson, Lisa wrote: Same with me! Coils & pan are clean this is ridiculous! Is there something that's been recalled for this product. I'm unaware of?

Reply to
Lisa

replying to Higgs Boson, Lisa wrote: Same with me! Coils & pan are clean this is ridiculous! Is there something that's been recalled for this product. I'm unaware of?

Reply to
Tony944

replying to Lisa, fixitall wrote: I have a similar Whirlpool refrigerator. I am having the same problem, but I know where it is coming from. The evaporator pan under the refrigerator.

After getting the unit repaired, a very bad odor soon began coming from down by the removable grill. After searching everything else like most folks here, I finally got behind it and removed the panel at the bottom. I found that the rear of the evaporator pan was coated with a dark, sticky residue that was definitely the source of the smell. I think it might have been from a roast that we thawed in the refrigerator, that ended up leaking a lot of blood before we caught it. I cleaned it out and voila, the smell went away completely.

It has been about a week now, and the smell has returned. When checking the same place I discovered these things:

1) There is about 1/4 inch of water in the back of the evaporator pan that is the source of the smell. It is not the same sticky residue, but murky water. 2) The pan is molded so that the back part fills up about halfway before water begins running into the front part. This may be because the fan is blowing right on the back part, and that would be where the fastest evaporation should take place.

I'm guessing here, but I know refrigerators have automatic defrost cycles. I'm wondering if somehow, before I had it repaired, the leaking food got down into the system somewhere and froze. Maybe now some of that ice is melting during each auto defrost and running down into the evaporator pan. Until it evaporates it is essentially a bowl of warm water, which would be a great place for bacteria to grow like crazy if food got down there.

I think I'll probably be cleaning that out regularly until only clean water drips down there from the defrost cycle as intended. I don't know any way to clean out the system up inside "where spills go." I guess I could try pouring water into the refrigerator compartment to see if it goes all of the way through and runs out in the evaporator pan - but that seems a little risky.

What I'd like to find is something to put into the evaporator pan to disinfect dirty water when it drains there, so the water would evaporate before it started to stink.

Reply to
fixitall

replying to Stormin Mormon, Nick wrote: I noticed an odor, searched hi, low and under, in the end I found that my Bioastin wasn't sealed!

Reply to
Nick

replying to Higgs Boson, Tlee1005 wrote: I have same issue and did all of that, no results.

Reply to
Tlee1005

Replying to Higgs 4 year old post rest assured that she now smells worse than her refrigerator.

Reply to
Frank

Yes newspapers wadded up do the trick!!! Now find out WHY it smells

Reply to
lfields25