Refrigerator start relay

My refrigerator is warm and makes this intermittant clicking sound. My research shows it's probably the compressor start relay. The start relay has two wires going into it. I removed the relay and it rattles, so its definitely bad. Would it be safe to just bypass the bad relay (by joining the two wires together) and run the refrigerator for a few minutes to just make sure the compressor is fine and still cools the box?
addieb wrote:

Never bypass a start relay unless you want a burt out compressor! - udarrell
addieb wrote:

No.
Unplug it and let the refrigerant acclimate(~1 hr.). Try it again.
The starting capacitor may have failed.
The compressor may be failing, the refrigerant contaminated, orifice plugged, or many other issues.
You may be able to get a "hard start" kit for your fridge to get it to last a little longer.
Compressor replacements are rarely economical these days.
Rob
addieb wrote:

Never bypass a start relay unless you want a burnt out compressor! - udarrell
<addieb> wrote in message

A relay has at LEAST 3 wires (two for the coil - one of which can also go to a contact - and the other contact.)
Is your "relay" a part of the compressor or attached to one of the tubes?
If so, it's an overload device.
I strongly suspect your ice box is now toast. Unless it's less than 7 years old, I suggest you just replace it.
Troll O Meter
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.