Refrigerator runs excessively

Hi!

I thought I'd get some opinions on this problem, to be better informed, before contacting Sears about it.

We've got a two-month old large side-by-side Sears refrigerator made, I believe, by Whirlpool. It's noiser than I'd like, and seems to run more than other refrigerators we've had. But maybe I'm just thinking that because I noice the noise, which is why I'm posting my question. It's one of the 'Energy Certified' models.

Example: Today, after a period of at least 45 minutes when the unit hadn't been accessed (no opening of door, no access to ice), the compressor came on (I guess it's the compressor... whatever's making the noise) and ran for over 16 minutes. That seems to me to be a long time to bring the temp back down. If it matters, it was only 73 degrees in the house with low humidity (Arizona), and it was pretty full.

So.... does that sound normal or is it a sign of a problem? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom in AZ

Reply to
Tom in PA

Nobody could say based on the tiny amount of data you give but if you are concerned that it is running too often spend $25 and get one of these

Plug the fridge into it and let it run for 4-5 days. Then read the kWh used and you can then know how many kWh it uses per day. Multiply that times the rate on your bill and presto you have an estimate for the year.

Repeat the experiment on any other fridge you can get to (yours, your sisters, your friendly neighbor etc) for comparitave purposes.

I have a rickety old freezer that takes 5kWh per day and a crappy old side by side that takes 10kWh per day but I think that is way too high as that fridge can barely freeze ice. I think the compressor is running low on freon so it runs too often. (at about $0.33 per kWh third tier, thats expensive (up to $1200 per year) I'm getting a new one soon.

I'm glad someone gave me that side by side though, because now I know I do prefer a freezer on top or bottom more.

For the noise, try putting something soft behind the fridge so the compressor and fan noise dosen't bounce off the wall back into the room. Just don't impeed airflow or that energy star will go away.

Reply to
PipeDown

Reply to
Jeff

that is a fantastic tool. i usually have 2 big CRT monitors running all day.

1 is the sony 24 inch GDM-FW900 and the other is a 19 inch Dell trini. that tool just might help me figure out if it pays to get those new LCD monitors.

might as well try it on my fridge to.

Frank

Reply to
Frankly

"PipeDown" wrote in news:9JWsg.6263$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Any idea of the cost of that? Doesn't look too cheap. Really need some justification.

Reply to
Al Bundy

If you're comparing to an old "not" energy efficient refrig that used the old Freon, you will find that it runs more per hour and sometimes make more and different noises than the old. But like another poster said, it costs less to do this. I was told (sold these for 25 years) that the compressor runs under less pressure causing it to wind up to speed faster but run longer to do the job. The additional power necessary to start up the old compressors was part of what made them less efficient. You'll probably hear some different noises that weren't there with the old also as the compressor and coolant cools down after a cycle. The owners manual will describe some of these noises and tell you that they are normal with new refrigerators. As a side note, check the model number...if it starts with the three digit number 106., it was sourced from Whirlpool.

Tom G..17 years in Arizona, now back in Illinois.

Reply to
Tom G

This probably isn't your problem, but I'll share it anyway... We were having the problem with food freezing in our frig despite having it set to the lowest setting. By process of deduction, I suspected the light wasn't turning off; the bulb is right next to the thermostat. So, I closed the door and pryed the seal back just enough to see that sure enough the light was still on. Problem was the the door was so low it didn't push the switch in far enough. The unit was under warranty so we called the company (Admiral). Tech came out and said that was a common problem with these. He reset the door and the problem was resolved.

Chris

Reply to
Algx

Duh, like I said $25 just Froogle "p4400" That price is justified under the cool tool category.

Reply to
PipeDown

Your cause and effect is incorrect.

The new units don't run a little longer "since they don't use R12". They run a little longer to make them more efficient.

If R12 were still legal, you could build a build a new longer-running R12 unit. And guess what? It would be MORE efficient than the new non-R12 units. Why? Because R12 is a better regrigerant than any of the substitutes. It takes less energy to compress it, and it soaks up more heat when it expands.

Reply to
Ether Jones

Ok Ether, I stand corrected...

Thank you, Jeff

(so when my new fridge runs low, I will refill it with R12 and have a super fridge :)) S> Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

"PipeDown" wrote in news:ivatg.6927$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Duh...thank you. I often say, I catch on the 3rd time right away :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy