refrigerator runs

Page 1 of 2
I have an old Maytag side by side refrigerator that my wife says runs all the time. Today she said the eggs were frozen so maybe she's right. Over the weekend I vacuumed out the bottom and as much of the coils (?) around the fan housing that I could. The angle is bad so I can't reach more than a few inches with the hose.
Here are a few pictures of the back side of the unit.
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/5839/h2wn.jpg
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8286/9s83.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6728/7fy.JPG
Any suggestions appreciated.
"badgolferman" wrote in message
I have an old Maytag side by side refrigerator that my wife says runs all the time. Today she said the eggs were frozen so maybe she's right. Over the weekend I vacuumed out the bottom and as much of the coils (?) around the fan housing that I could. The angle is bad so I can't reach more than a few inches with the hose.
Here are a few pictures of the back side of the unit.
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/5839/h2wn.jpg
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8286/9s83.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6728/7fy.JPG
Any suggestions appreciated.
How I cleaned that area when I was doing appliance repair>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cleaning from the front. The area in front that the warm air is being exhausted, cover with a wet towel. On the section that the air enters use a crevice tool on a tank type vacuum sweeper that you can connect the hose to the end that the air blows out, This blows the dust and lint back to the wet towel. Very little mess. WW

I would check thermostat. I would monitor inside temps. You can clean it in the mean time.
Greg

Of course, make sure fans are running well.
Greg
On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:55:17 PM UTC-7, badgolferman wrote:

http://www.caseybrush.com/images/lint-brush.gif
badgolferman;3090157 Wrote:

Check to make sure you didn't change the thermostat setting inadvertantly.
I agree that the thermostat is the most likely culprit, but I would check to make sure the fridge defrost timer isn't stuck in operating mode before you replace the thermostat.
Basically, the brains of a frost free fridge is the defrost timer. It's job is to divert electrical power away from the thermostat for about 20 minutes or so once every 20 hours of fridge operating time. The power is diverted to the defrost heater to melt all the ice that's accumulated on the evaporator coils.
But, it's only a tiny little motor in the defrost timer, and a bit of friction can cause it to get stuck; either in defrost mode, or in operate mode. If it gets stuck in defrost mode, then your fridge essentially goes into permanent defrost mode until the defrost timer unsticks. If it gets stuck in operate mode, the fridge will operate continuously without defrosting itself, and eventually frost will start forming inside the freezer compartment.
Look on the partition wall between the fridge and freezer sides of your side-by-side for a removable panel. Behind that panel will be the evaporator of your fridge, which is the source of all the cold the fridge makes. It should not be clogged up with frost. You should have anywhere from no frost to a uniform coating of frost over it's entire surface. If it is all clogged up with frost, then the fridge is not defrosting properly, and that could be due to a stuck defrost timer.
If you can see that the evaporator coil isn't clogged up with frost, than I'd go ahead and replace the fridge thermostat.
PS: Nowadays, the correct term for a fridge "thermostat" is a "cold control" because it serves a different purpose than a true thermostat.
--
nestork

Evaporator is typically inside the freezer, in the back. Not the center partition. Look in with a flashlight, and see if the back inside of the freezer has "snow" accumulating. Please let us know what you find.
Is the refrig colder on the bottom, or about the same, bottom and top? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
[...]

'Stormin Mormon[_9_ Wrote: > ;3090282']Evaporator is typically inside the freezer, in the back. Not > the center partition. Look in with a flashlight, and see if the back > inside of the freezer has "snow" accumulating. Please let us know what > you find.

On a regular fridge, the evaporator coil will be behind a removable panel in the freezer compartment. On a side-by-side, it'll typically be in the vertical partition wall between the fridge and freezer sections.
--
nestork

Please give us an example, so I can look it up on Sears Parts or something like that. I've serviced several dozen side by side refrig, over the years. Many dozens of them. I've never, ever, seen even one with the evap in the partition wall. Here's a chance for me to learn. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On a regular fridge, the evaporator coil will be behind a removable panel in the freezer compartment. On a side-by-side, it'll typically be in the vertical partition wall between the fridge and freezer sections.
--
nestork

'Stormin Mormon[_9_ Wrote: > ;3090988']Please give us an example, so I can look it up on Sears Parts > or something like that. I've serviced several dozen side by side refrig, > over the years. Many dozens of them. I've never, ever, seen even one > with the evap in the partition wall. Here's a chance for me to learn.

> (http://www.lds.org )

> be

Stormin:
You are probably correct. I tried to use Google Images to find a side-by-side refrigerator with the evaporator in the center partition wall, but was unable to find one.
Also, not only were all the evaporators I found located in the back of the freezer section, all of the partition walls between the two sections were clearly too thin to house an evaporator coil.
I don't know where I got the impression that side-by-sides had the evaporator coil between the fridge and freezer, but I got it from somewhere, so there probably is a side-by-side out there with that feature, but your point is well taken. From what I can see, they're typically in the freezer section.
I notice that the info posted by the OP shows his evaporator to be in the back of his freezer compartment:
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/5839/h2wn.jpg
--
nestork

Dear Nestork, You know, every time I think I've got the world figured out, someone changes something. I deal with that "changing world" on a regular basis, at work, home, etc. I was expecting to find out that someone redesigned refrigerators, and I am the last to know. It would have been a big learning experience for me. And I'd want to know for the future when I'm doing other refrigerator repairs. In any case, thank you for taking the time to research the question. I do feel better, knowing the answer. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
[...]
On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:23:20 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

They don't all work that way.
badgolferman wrote:

I'd check ice build up inside with flash light. Defrost timer may be kaput.
Might be a cold control that's stuck on. That could explain runs all the time.
Or evaporator fan slowing down. Which would tend to over freeze the freezer.
Or bad defrost timer (would tend to warm the fridge and super freeze the freezer, if stuck in run mode.)
Are the eggs in the lower part of the refrigerator? Is the higher part of the refrig warm? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I have an old Maytag side by side refrigerator that my wife says runs all the time. Today she said the eggs were frozen so maybe she's right. Over the weekend I vacuumed out the bottom and as much of the coils (?) around the fan housing that I could. The angle is bad so I can't reach more than a few inches with the hose.
Here are a few pictures of the back side of the unit.
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/5839/h2wn.jpg
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8286/9s83.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6728/7fy.JPG
Any suggestions appreciated.
On 7/9/2013 8:55 PM, badgolferman wrote:

I use Pepto-Bismol® when I have refrigerator runs but I will not post pictures of my back side. ^_^
TDD
When my refrigerator is running, I'm too old to go out and catch it. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I use Pepto-Bismol® when I have refrigerator runs but I will not post pictures of my back side. ^_^
TDD
When Philip Morris is in the can, is it due to refrigerator runs?
Dave M.
I dunno. Hang on while I call the bowling alley.
No sixteen pound balls, but they do have Prince Albert in a can. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
When Philip Morris is in the can, is it due to refrigerator runs?
Dave M.
Gammer0;3093042 Wrote: > If you still want any type of cleaning than I'm going to suggest you a > website where you can get every type of house cleaning and other > cleanings.You should visit this site ('Gold Coast Carpet Cleaning | > Carpet Cleaners | Pest Control | PHJ' (http://www.phjservices.com.au )) > Here you can find every type of cleaning .
Gold Coast Carpet Cleaning is in Australia.
Do you think they would charge any extra to come to the USA to do this job?
--
nestork

if there is anyway you can haul it outside and use compressed air to blow all the accumulated stuff out... do it. make sure the wife isn't blocking the natural air flow inside.. there is a reason the racks in a fridge are racks instead of shelves. (always blame the wife if possible).. and the other things mentioned. if it was me... I'd drag the air hose inside and blow all the stuff out and give the wife something to do cleaning up the house afterwards.