Refrigerator rollers

It appears (not yet verified) that one or more of the (plastic) rollers under the refrigerator may have disintegrated (or, be in the process of doing so).

[I suspect the "webbing" inside the roller has fractured based on the bits of plastic I've discovered under the unit]

I'm thinking of strapping it to my "refrigerator dolly" and leaning it back "for transport" to expose the underside. By carefully choosing the side from which to approach the refrigerator, I should be able to MOST elevate the rollers in question. Not the greatest in terms of accessibility but should be enough to expose the rollers and any mounting hardware necessary to remove/replace.

I can't imagine any OTHER way to get at the underside of the unit? And, I'm sure we're not the only ones who will have had to replace these rollers (given that they are a replaceable "spare"!)

[Note to self: remove liquids from refrigerator before doing so]
Reply to
Don Y

In article , snipped-for-privacy@foo.invalid

Make another note: Check the pan under it to make sure all the water has evaporated out of it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Take the model number to an appliance parts web site and look at the parts diagram. It may be an easily replaced assembly.

Reply to
gfretwell

Note to Don Y: This is your big chance to clean the condenser, and scrub out the pan under it, now there is none out of it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sears Parts often has exploded diagrams for various models and such. They might be expensive for parts, but they are good source of intel and info.

As to "get under", I'd start with a piece of fire wood behind the fridge. Tip the whole thing back, slip a two by four under the front to give you some space. Pull off the "kick plate". Use a flash light to see the rollers in front. Lay on the floor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Arizona. Never any chance of "standing water"! :>

Reply to
Don Y

Tired that. The exploded diagrams don't give you enough *detailed* information to sort out how things come apart.

Many refrigerators have assemblies that are replaced by removing the back panel (or front grill). This one appears to need to be accessed from below.

(Well, maybe someone who's done it many times can tip it "just a little" and wiggle their fingers under there...)

I opted to use a drywall lifter to get a peek at it. The *dolly* is such a PITA to get into the house...

Reply to
Don Y

Get a couple pieces of lumber, I used 4x4s. Rock it back and kick one under, then tilt it back the other way and kick the other one under. Just be sure you are under "structure" and mot sheet metal. I did mine with a fridge full of beer.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yell "la migra" five times. Then lean under, and ask the Mexicans to check the wheels for you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My "dolly" will make easy work out of tipping it. And, let me get the better part of a foot of clear air under it to work without trying to do everything "upside down and blind". The drywall lifter gave me about 3 inches -- just enough to slip a mirror underneath to see what sort of fastener is used.

Trick will be to see if I can find a local supplier so I don't have to wait a week for a couple of pieces of dense plastic...

Reply to
Don Y

Yes that is the trick. Unless it is a very popular style that an appliance parts place has, you or they will be ordering them. I just took a peek to be sure the wheel assembly had all the bad parts (rust in my case) ordered them and put them in when they came in.

Reply to
gfretwell

Maybe you should consider putting in a different size/design of rollers that would hold up for a longer time???

Reply to
hrhofmann

These have disintegrated/cracked/shattered. Roller pins are intact but the plastic is toast. Tempting to replace with a drilled hardwood dowel but I *know* that will quickly develop a flat spot.

We have a large parts store in town that has been good in the past. Of course, they aren't open on Sunday...

Reply to
Don Y

No option, there, as the rollers all fit into spaces designed for those diameters. Would have to do some serious metalworking in order to make anything larger fit.

Reply to
Don Y

You could have drank the beer first..... :)

Reply to
Paintedcow