Refrigerator Repair Question

I tried posting this before but don't see it.
The evaporator pan on the refrigerator rusted out. I was able to get a used one to replace it. The pan sits on top of the condenser and is held in place with a nut and bolt. There was something used to help keep it from leaking around the nut...some kind of putty. It appears to be plain old plumbers putty like we have. Does anyone know if this is right? The pan gets pretty hot ...
Thanks.
When I took our GE Monogram apart, it was loaded with plumbers putty. I did away with most of it and redid it with silicone seal. the putty hadn't fared well at the low temperatures, and hopefully this will be better.
I would think a silcon caulk would be easier to seal on the 1st try. You may have to let it cure for a few days before putting it into operation (e.g. exposure to the heat you talked about) OR perhaps a compressable rubber washer to slightly compress and prevent any water leakage around the bolt. Any professional refrigerator person should be willing to tell you what kind of sealant to use for the application. My next choice would be to ask at an auto repair parts store as car repair mechanics also deal with high heat applications and use various non-flammable (when cured), heat resistant sealants.
Dottie wrote:

Evaporator: The tubes or coils which get cold. Condensor: The tubes or coils which get hot. Condensate tray or pan: The pan which holds the water that drains from the evaporator. Compressor: Device which compresses refrigerant. Usually sealed, and usually hums and vibrates while running.
I've seen condensate trays on compressors, but never seen an evaporator pan on a condensor. Seen trays next to the condensor on frost free models, though.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.