Refrigerator Panel missing over Compressor

I just got a refrigerator from a estate sale. It's much newer than my old one and should be more energy efficient, as well as having a useful sized freezer.

It works fine, but there was a gray cardboard panel over the compressor on the rear of the fridge. It was halfway off the fridge when I bought it, and by the time I got it in my house, that panel had completely fallen off, and is pretty well shreaded and torn.

The panel had holes in it for air circulation of the small fan by the drip pan, and it also had insulation where the compressor motor sits.

Anyhow, it's too well ruined and some pieces are even missing, so it's beyond repair.

Like I said the fridge works fine without that panel. I'm wondering if there is any reason to be concerned about not having it? The only thing I thought could be a problem was if I had small pets (like an indoor cat), that could be hurt by the fan, or ruin the fan itself. But I dont have indoor pets. If I did have indoor pets, I could use the screws from the old panel, and put some hardware cloth over the opening, but since I dont have indoor pets, there dont seem to be a need.

Actually it almost looks like that panel was originally damaged by some sort of animal, (maybe mice), because there were two wires that were abraded by possibly chewing, and had bare spots of exposed copper. I taped those up with electrical tape.

That sure is a lousy design, using molded cardboard, which obviously will get damaged easily. I'm assuming the part with the insulation over the compressor was to prevent fire if that cardboard touched the hot compressor unit, even though I dont think the compressor should get that hot.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Could the cardboard have been to direct the air flow over the compressor or maybe to blow air over the water that drains when the self-defrosting action puts water into a pan under the refrigerator?

Reply to
hrhofmann

The holes in the cardboard were by the drain pan, and the fan right in front of it, behind that panel. The insulation was by the compressor. I think that fan is blowing at everything, and seems like it would be less restricted without that panel. But I dont really know????

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

More likely the insulation was intended to reduce noise. The only other purpose of the cardboard cover is to keep cats away from the compressor and condensate pan.

Reply to
Bob

The cardboard does several things, about directing air flow. It is imporatant, and should be replaced.

Even an old cardboard box cut to shape and duct taped on will be helpful.

No, it is not "running fine" now. There is not enough air flow over the condenser, compressor, and drip pan.

BTW, now is a good time to pull out that plastic drip pan and scrub it. Wash your hands after, the drip pans breed microbes. Snap off the panel from under the fridge, and pull the pan out the front.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That would be my main concern, that part of it's function could have been to channel airflow where it's needed. Without knowing or seeing the design, who knows.....

Reply to
trader_4

Yes, the cardboard is essential. I could draw a couple pictures of why. Might be out on the web some where. ==========================

By the way, that back panel (cardboard or metal) at the bottom of your fridge back is important for more than keeping fingers away from the fan and electrical components. It serves to direct the air flow across the condenser to ensure heat removal. ==========================

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, one thing is for sure, the manufacturer didn't spend the time and money to put the cardboard in the compressor area unless it had a positive function. Can you replicate (more or less) what was there and put it back?

Reply to
hrhofmann

+1

All newer that I've seen use something similar as the fan guard; that's basically all they are. I'd also suggest either the wire screen OP mentioned before or a replacement fabricated from the remaining pieces to roughly match...

The more solid panels do serve a small noise dampening function secondarily I'd expect that the screen wouldn't.

Reply to
dpb

Hi, what is the best way to clean behind cardboard?

Reply to
wdstover

replying to Jerry.Tan, Butch wrote: Those cheaply made, but VERY expensive cardboard rear panels must be part of some business model to fleece customers - at least that's the best explanation I can come up with. Whirlpool fridge cardboard rear panels are priced at (notice I didn't say "cost") around $48! Plus shipping! For a piece of cut out cardboard with a tiny bit of fiberglass insulation glued on. I believe the Whirlpool parts website actually lists "freight cost" for shipping.... Hmm. Here's the solution to this nonsense. Go to a good hardware store and ask for a piece of decorative aluminum sheeting. Usually these will be found in or next to the same rack as other metal pieces (aluminum and steel flat strips, angle iron etc). Decorative aluminum sheets will have small holes in patterns (the one I bought has alternating rows of very small round holes, about 1/16 inch and somewhat larger holes, maybe 3/16 inch). The size of the sheets may vary, the one I bought was about 24 x48". These metal sheets with holes are much stronger than cardboard. Mice can't get through!. They won't tear! And the holes provide better air circulation than the pitiful hole cutouts in the "OEM" cardboard panels. Cut the aluminum sheet to the same size as the old cardboard panel. If there are places for any wires/tubes to run through the old panel, just use small snips to cut similar holes in the metal. When you take off the old panel, save the mounting screws. The closely spaced holes in the decorative aluminum should line up very closely with the screw holes in the fridge body where the cardboard mounted. You now have a very nice looking, tear proof, rodent proof, air circulating metal panel on the rear of the fridge instead of that ugly, cheap but expensive piece of junk that came with your fridge. Now, given the low cost of this decorative aluminum sheeting, it does make you wonder why manufacturers couldn't use it themselves. Late stage capitalism, that's why.

Reply to
Butch

replying to Jerry.Tan, Rain L. wrote: Butch gave you the best, I'm a female and not real good with tools... I plan on cutting new cardboard and found a louvered vent at Home Depot 10x8 that will vent the area where the old one did... a little double sided sticky tape or good old duct tape should make a "hinge" that will allow for me to raise it up to access for other repairs in future. Best of luck!

Reply to
Rain L.