Refrigerator not working again

Page 10 of 13
The Daring Dufas wrote:

It used to be a joke among used care salesmen, when telling people what was wrong with their trade-ins in the '60s & '70s. "Our mechanic just informed me that we'll have to take $250 off our offer, since the muffler bearings are bad..." ;-)
That's why I never traded in a used car, or bought one off a lot.
The other was a joke to confuse the new guy at the parts counter, when one of the mechanics would tell him he needed a muffler bearing for a 65 Mustang. Maybe it was a regional thing?
enough left over to pay them.

I got real tickled when I heard a parts man call another supplier and ask for a harmonica balancer for a Chevy V8.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I remember watching the harmonic balancer from the Chevy 283 in my van rolling up the exit ramp off I-75 at Lima Ohio, after it bounced around under the engine cover a couple times. I was doing 35 MPH, and it was outrunning the van. :(
enough left over to pay them.

I had a similar experience when I cut a corner too hard and snapped the left front hub out of the brake drum on my 65 Dart and the wheel outran me. o_O
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Ever had the hood pop up and pull one hinge out of the body? It happened to me on I-75 near cincinnati, Ohio in the '70s. It was a 66 Opal Cadet. I was doing 55 MPH when the hood latch failed. A split second later I was looking at the bottom of the hood, that was caught on the wiper post. It had hit one of the carburetors and bent the top, which wouldn't let me slow down, and had ripped the reservoir off the master cylinder, so I had no brakes. I had to power shift to get work my way down to first gear before I shut off the engine. I was steering by looking down at the flashing white line, which made me quite dizzy. I finally got it slowed enough to pull off to the right side of the road. Luckily, I didn't hit anything before I stopped. I got out and ripped the other hinge out, and shoved it into the trunk. I pried the top of the carburetor open, so I could drive it home. The car was a total loss, because the of the hood hitting the right door post before it hit the windshield. The welds cracked, all the way down the door post, and across the floor to my feet. The only thing holding the body together was the roof and the left door post. I called my boss as soon as II got home and was told that I should have tied the hood down and drove to work, and that what happened was no excuse for missing work. Its no wonder that people called the place 'Chickenshit Electronics'. I was working in QA on the PRC77 manpack radio at the time.
enough left over to pay them.
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 02:44:28 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

In USAF electronics tech school, we used to send the newbies out for a bucket of prop wash, 20 ft. of flight line, a cup of grid-leak bias, and when doing the floor, a buffer amplifier. ;-)
Some guy actually came back with a cup of some pink liquid, which they had told him was "grid-leak bias."
And then there's the guy who wanted to borrow a Crescent wrench, and the shop guy asked, "Metric or standard?" ;-)
Cheers! Rich
And shows the mechanic's ignorance. They only come in Metric, English, and very expensive in Whitworth.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 9/23/2010 12:28 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

I put an oscillator inside a hollowed out D-cell to show smart asses who asked me for an AC battery. When I showed up with my AC battery I would get this "we're just kidding, there's no such thing." Then I hooked it to a scope and said "SEE?". I swiped the idea from I don't remember who. 8-)
TDD
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:19:20 -0500, The Daring Dufas

    Causing many heads to look like the watermelons at a Gallagher show, I assume :-)
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
On 9/23/2010 10:48 PM, .p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:

Turn about is fair play but outsmarting smart-asses causes them to hate you and they waste countless hours trying to get back at you. I love pranks but draw the line at anything destructive or something that could possibly cause someone harm, like the old gasoline in the fire extinguisher gag. When I worked in a repair depot so many years ago, our individual work benches had a master switch to kill the power to the various magnifier lamps, test gear and soldering stations. One of my coworkers was a REAL gun nut. He had guns everywhere. He had at least two on him at any time so I couldn't resist. I painted his soldering iron with liquid flux then coated it with gun powder. He came into work that day in a foul mood growling at everything in sight, slammed down what he was carrying on his work bench, flipped on the power switch and we all cringed expecting him to go berserk and shoot everyone in sight. After 10 seconds a big flash and puff of smoke came from his soldering iron, he jumped up and screamed like a woman in a monster movie then started giggling. After that he was OK and in a good mood the rest of the day. See, pranks can be therapeutic! 8-)
TDD
When I was in college, one professor used to smoke cigarettes while he taught. Which was painful to me, as I'm allergic. He'd look in the trash can, and find something for an ash tray. Piece of paper, or soda can. I got the brilliant idea to put some flash powder in a dry pop can, and leave in the trash can. He'd put still-lit cigarettes into the pop can. I got the idea, but never did try it. I really should have.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought of gasoline in the fire extinguisher.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That was the "Close cover before striking" college, right?
--
Intelligent Design Helping Stupid People Feel Smart Since 1987

22:19:20 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Had a co-worker who would respond to request for "a butt load" of anything with "That a standard or metric butt load?"
--
pyotr filipivich
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Well, some people DO confuse 'a ton' with 'a butt load'. ;-)
enough left over to pay them.

Oh no, not the butt load again...I remember it being a bulk load. Someone got Trolled :( Randy
(Do not do today, what you shouldn't do tomorrow)
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 01:32:33 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Yes, on cars equiped with blinker fluid.
The blinker fluid reservoir is right next to the back seat choke.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

They got tossed into that box of flight line..ya..that one.
Gunner Asch wrote:

And tossed into the trash when they were looking for the skyhooks...
enough left over to pay them.
23:57:24 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I've got the drawings for the semi inverted nuts that hold the retaining bracket for the end.

    The Chrome Plated ones are next to the remote overhead windshield wiper knobs.
--
pyotr filipivich