Refrigerator not working again

Oh man, you're showing your age. I had a great deal of fun with Univac 1100 series and IBM 360-50 systems so long ago. I was actually present when a customer service engineer, remember them, diagnosed a core memory failure, the first he'd seen. Back then, when you bought a computer, an engineer was included in the price to take care of the big monster. I remember the big splash bubble memory made and I think it should be looked at again and updated with more modern materials. There are some applications in the world for simple robust nonvolatile memory devices that could be served by the technology. Darn, I had a small core memory unit (palm sized) that I found in a junk pile on Meck Island at the Kwajalein Missile Range back in the late 1980's. I lost it in a move, it was a neat little gadget.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

This was in the early '80s, and it was in one version of TI's IBM XT clone. It was used as a remote data entry teminal for billing at a Cable TV office. It replaced a cassette tape based NCR 300 baud terminal that was installed in 1979
enough left over to pay them.
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:06:51 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

It probably can't compete with Flash.
Cheers! Rich

Wow, bubble memory.
In my case, the repair was ripping out the old CNC control and making a new one.

I gotcha one better.
I rebuilt and serviced ASCII terminals that used 1K bytes of magneto- strictive delay line memory!
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

With an 8 or a 16 pound sledge hammer? ;-)
enough left over to pay them.

Wow. What year was that?
Jeff

1971. Old NASA stuff maintained by Hazeltine Corp. They were all in the process of being replaced by core memory units. By 1974, they had all been replaced with Hazeltine 2000-A units.
The "terminals" were full 19-inch racks with vector caliographic character drawing -- not dot-matrix displays.
They had a 1K-byte memory "coil" that had a 16.66ms full path delay. Hmmm... why, that matched the scan refresh rate! Darn!
<G>
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Just like the long obsolete 'Shift Register Memory' used in some early terminals. The only difference was that the delay was all electronic. Don Lancaster's famous 'TV Typewriter' project used them, along with a Signetics 2513 masked ROM for the character generator. Both were available in limited quantities on the surplus market in the '70s.
enough left over to pay them.

I used to pour over Popular Electronics at the library every time they had a cover shot of some new project Don Lancaster (my hero) came up with. I loved the project books that he produced for Radio Shack and I wish I still had them. 8-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

He still posts on some of the sci.electronics newsgroups from time to time. :)
enough left over to pay them.

I think the guy is a great treasure for the electronics community, I really admire him. He has the ability to share his knowledge better than most of the teachers I've come across which is a unique talent.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I like his description of the 'Cursor Circuit' in his TV typewriter article: "Have you ever tried to design one?" or something to that effect.
He also wrote some pretty good April Fools stories. :)
enough left over to pay them.
Yes, I've also done some good april fool jokes.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 23:17:52 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Cheers! Rich
On 9/22/2010 3:18 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

Where did you learn about the famous "frammistan"?
TDD

It's in the manual, right next to the page showing the three-pronged veeblefork.
Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Where are the muffler bearings?
enough left over to pay them.

Believe it or not, there is such a thing as a muffler bearing. A front wheel drive car may have one to accommodate the movement of a transverse mounted engine.
TDD