Refrigerator not working again

BTW (I don't think Bob wrote this) "dumbfuck" stuff.
But when's the last time you saw an ordinary household REFRIGERATOR with a freakin' TEV? Huh? Who's the dumbfuck?
LLoyd

A Sub-Zero? Of course, it's not exactly ordinary.
TDD

They are extraordinary. Their price is through the roof. Their appeal and appearance are through the roof. Their customer complaints and dissatisfaction with service and repairs are also through the roof.
How good does a fridge have to be?
Unlike Vulcan, Wolf, Dacor, and similar stoves that just perform superbly, a Sub-Zero is an average refrigerator with some fancy features at a Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher price than average. ................................................. You pay more, you don't get more, except for a fancier cover plate.
Steve
On 9/22/2010 12:35 AM, Steve B wrote:

I suppose I'm only familiar with the older Sub-Zero units. The units I've fooled with, were built like commercial units with semi-hermetic compressors on the top of the fridge.
TDD
Might be you'd worked on larger ones. The several sub-zeros I've serviced have been tin can compressors. Two -- one for fridge, and a larger one for freezer. They have the usual problems with condensor air flow, and one I worked on had a leaky evaporator.
Actually, I've worked on two Sup Zero which the customer chose to replace. One had a failed compressor, the other had a leaky evaporator.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Drill instructor screaming in grunt's face. Grunt answers back, "You don't scare me. I went to Catholic school."
Steve
Drop and give me 20 Hail Marys, maggot!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not likely. I got in an argument with a D.I. in basic. Before it was over, the Captain read him the riot act and 'suggested' that he would not like being an E1 again.
enough left over to pay them.
And, when was the last time you saw ice inside a cap tube? I've been ammused, here, for the entire thread. I'm not at Iggy's place, doing a proper diagnosis. But from what he wrote (and I saw quoted in someone else's post). I'd be looking in different direction for the source of the problem. But, then, everyone knows. I'm just a the dumf'k from alt havoc.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You're already wasted more time and money that a housecall and diagnosis would have cost. You can't quit now. Replace the compressor. Then the evaporator. Then rip out all the plumbing and replace that too. Replace the control unit too while you're at it. Don't forget to replace the outlet, inside house wiring, and the utility power pole.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Keep your day job AZ. You aren't going to make it as a comic.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

I thought it was funny. I give it 5 stars.

He better try the comic thing... he can't make it as a refrigeration professional no matter how hard he tries.
LLoyd

That's all I see the "pros" do. They swap crap until it works, and if it's an actual _refrigeration_ problem, they either add refrigerant, or scratch their asses waiting for advice from "someone at the office."
LLoyd

I have gauges. I would bet a Franklin that I could check the level of freon in my system, call for a repairman, and be charged for a freon charge to "top off the system."
Steve

It takes more than *just* gauges to check the refrigerant charge balance. What about the compressors rated amp draw?? superheat?? subcooling??
You can check with your gauges, then piss and moan cause you added when it didn't need it, or recovered what you thought was excess.... when the "problem" may have only been dirty coils, or blower wheel, or dirty filter, or bunch of registers closed, or.............

WHOOSH!
(The sound of an idea passing over an empty air space.)
Echo.
A reverberating WHOOSH!
Steve
At least a couple times in my life. I've worked on systems that the customer insisted were low freon, but turned out to be other problems.
One restaurant. The upright two door freezer had some kind of compressor problem. Two cylinder compressor, about half the amps. The owner totally insisted that it needed freon.
Out back, are the compressors for the cases indoors. The one for the pie case, I think it was 1/3 HP compressor, with a receiver. The walk in cooler was 1/2 HP, if memory serves. I put my gages on, and checked amp draw. I could tell by the sound, the units were really straining. The head was waay, waaay, up there.
I tried to explain (the old guy was very deaf) the actual problem. He insisted the one needed 5 pounds of freon, the other needed 8. I got out my Johnstone catalog, showed him the receiver holds 1.5 pounds or was it 1.7 (been about three or four years ago). I told him that I'd need to fix the actual problem. He refused to let me fix the problem. Insisted that I add 5 pounds to the one system and 8 pounds to the other. I finally walked off. I hope he leaves the business some day and his wife calls me back. She was a lot more pleasant. Perhaps he can retire to Florida, and enjoy his retirement there.
Of course, depending which tech you called. You might get a couple pounds of freon added to your system, or you might get a proper repair.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus