refrigerator not cooling - defrost timer?

Hi all,

From what I can gather, my refrigerator's defrost timer is not working properly. The symptom, which has occured twice now, is that the refrigerator suddenly stops cooling and warms up to ambient temperature. I have have tried cycling the temperature controls on/off and also unplugging the refrigerator and plugging it back in and it does not cool. If I leave the refrigerator unplugged for several days, then I can plug it back in and it will work properly. According to what I have been able to find on the net, this is most likely the defrost timer. The refrigerator is a Kenmore side by side apparently made by Frigidaire (model 253.51694103). The label indicates it was manufactured in April 2002.

Is there any way to test the timer to verify that it is or is not working propertly before I try replacing it? I have not been able to find a repair manual.... The part is pictured at this link

and there is no apparent way to advance the timer as on older models.

Thanks.

Reply to
lehei

Does the freezer still work OK? Does it stay cold when the fridge gets warm. Then it could be a few things. The cooling fan, defrost heater and/or thermostat, Defrost timer.

Just from what you posted. It sounds like the Freezer is icing up and you need to defrost it manually If so then it would be the defrost heater and/or thermostat or defrost timer. Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks

Reply to
Kahlua53

The service manual for the Frigidaire built Side by Side and Top Mount refigerators produced from April to December 2002 can be ordered at the following link.

Ah, an 'adaptive defrost control'. :( There is a procedure to put them into the various cycles manually but I don't know what that procedure is for the Frigidaire used ones. Sorry.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Hi,

defrost control board.

*Most* ( not all ) can be put into a manual defrost cycle....this should help...
The defrost thermostat and defrost heater should be checked, both can be ohmed with an ohm meter.

heater kit

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

It's both comparments behaving the same. Thanks.

Reply to
lehei