Refrigerator not cold

I have a Maytag Performa fridge/freezer that has become quite warm. The freezer is on top, and seems to be blowing warm air constantly. I removed the defrost timer and defrost thermostat, the timer tested good, but the thermostat didn't. I assume the thermostat is a simple on/off switch so I tried running the fridge with it disconnected, and with the wires jumped. Still warm. Does this mean when the new thermostat I ordered gets here, it will still be warm, or is it possible it will still fix the problem? What else should I look at?

Different refrigerator, but when mine did that, the repair guy replaced a circuit board that tested bad. It wasn't running the defrost cycle properly. He said the repair wasn't enough, though. The coils behind the panel in the freezer were encased in a block of ice, and I still had to wait 24 hours for them to defrost. Some were hidden behind an area he said wasn't worth disassembling, unless I was made out of money and was in a rush. So, I waited. It worked.
I just had this happen 2 weeks ago on my whirlpool. The repairman charged me $218 to replace a (i might say it wrong) starter solonoid. It took him about 20 minutes in the back of the fridge with what was probebly a $50 part. I really wish I could find a cd with a search item for simple household repairs. lou

Recently fixed an upright freezer for $49.54 local. Web cost was $50 for parts.
Smelt burnt wire in the garage and went on the look. Then I hear the thing sizzle....trying to start. Remove the parts too visit the local appliance supply.
Thought I failed; until I realized I forgot to plug the pig tail plug together.
btw, not a bunch of info out this (my case).
Thus, the repairman! Unless you look.
Oren --
Fugazi wrote:

Try it without jumpering the 'stat. Just disconnect it.
Tony Hwang wrote:

That was the first thing I tried. :(
Do you suppose that test eliminates the thermostat as the culprit? It tested bad with an OHM meter.
--
http://improve-usenet.org

sittingduck wrote:

One common problem with defrost timer is burnt out, pitted contact or causing closed stuck contact. If it is closed all thew time, the heater is on all the time warmp temperature. Now put the 'stat back and dis connect timer contaqcts leads and see what happens.
Tony Hwang wrote:

The timer looks very good, and testing it with an OHM meter, it checked out perfectly.
--
http://improve-usenet.org

sittingduck wrote:

Did you check timer motor and contacts? Contacts carry high current 120V AC for defrost heater.

Is the freezer cold? If so, it could be the evaporator fan not working. Or the defrost heaters not working. You can get some troubleshooting at www.repairclinic.com or www.applianceaid.com
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It turned out to be the compressor starter. This part fixed it: HS410 3-in-1 Hard Start Kit Includes relay, overload, and start capacitor for 115V, 1/4-1/3 HP compressors Alternate numbers: RC0410, 600-410
--
http://improve-usenet.org