refrigerator noise

Recently I rented an RV for 2 weeks. I noticed that the refrigerator and freezer in the RV were perfectly silent. Why? My refrigerator at home is noisy...to the point of grating on my nerves.
Yet this unit was silent. Why can't this technology be used in the home, thereby eliminating noisy refrigerators?
Note that the RV refrigerator ran on electricity when we were driving and could be shifted to propane when stopped. Still, it was perfectly silent.
Can anybody explain why?

RV refrigeration uses ammonia absorption instead of compression for the cooling effect. It's a slow process, but reliable.
They aren't cheap and are a lot smaller than 'standard' household refrigerators. You can buy them still. http://tinyurl.com/42a8w This one is about 8 cubic feet.
Yea , your home frige is crap , mine never have made noise, time for you to learn , try Joe Meehans 7.99$ course in home knowledge , its great I can now swat flies and fleas, while reading .!!!!!

This is Turtle.
NO freon Compressor to make noise but a Boiler of Ammonia which may make a very very light giggling noise. If your not listening. You can't hear it. This system was used before they come out with freon or refrigerators.
TURTLE
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
thanx for the information/answers.
I still think that there could/should be a market for this type of silent frigd even though it is more costly. With all the complaints in the newsgroup about noisy fridgs I would think that a number of people would be willing to pay for a gas powered, silent even though pricey unit.
I would be interested.
We use gas for heating and hot water so it should be relatively simple to hook up another line for a fridg.