Refrigerator leaks cold air

I have a Maytag side by side frig which is nine years old. It has developed a cold air leak which can be felt as a draft coming from the from the front and sides bottom of the unit. I checked the gasket liner around both doors, and determined they were ok. I pulled the frig out from the enclosure it was in to feel around back, and felt the cold air coming out from the rear bottom portion of the unit. A visual inspection was made, but nothing seemed out of place.

Could this possibly be a problem with this brand refrigerator, or could there be a crack somewhere in the cooling enclosure. The unit has been moved around a number of times for home remodeling purposes, so I'm wondering if careless handling by workers might have broken a seal or caused a crack to develop somewhere in the housing. Thanks to all who reply.

John

Reply to
john

Hi,

I'm wondering if you're feeling the condenser airflow? There's a fan under your refrig that directs air over the coindenser coil and compressor, and its exhaust is mainly out the front, and there'll also be some airflow out through the rear cover holes/grille.

You'll normally feel a fairly strong flow of this air when everything's 'breathing' properly. May not be a problem.

If you were leaking a lot of actual interior air, you'd expect to see frost buildup on the inside in the area of a leak that bad.

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Hi,

Model#?

model# helps.

Any chance you are just feeling the air movement from the condensor fan motor under the refrigerator and not from inside?!!?

Condensor coils been cleaned recently?

Cracked, probably not! Temps still ok inside?

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff