Refrigerator help!

I just moved into my first apartment and I realized the refrigerator opens into the stove! I know you can change the hinges, but I must be an idiot or something because I don't know where to start. Could someone give me some help?

Thank you, Samantha

Reply to
skscr923

The hinges are screwed into the case on the top for the freezer and the very bottom front for the bottom of the main door (assuming freezer on top). If side by side, they're top and bottom no intermediate, obviously. Take the top one off, lift the door pin from the bottom, then the other can be unmounted. Repeat.

Turn the door over, there will be holes w/ plastic plugs in the appropriate places. Remove those, put in other now unused holes and mount the hinge plates.

The handles will also have some cover caps that hide the screws and there will be covers over the new mounting locations for them as well.

Most (all?) come w/ instructions as new and would think there would be info on the manufacturer's web site if relatively recent vintage.

--

Reply to
dpb

A few things to consider:

Does this refrigerator even offer a reversible door option?

If it is part of the apartment rental, ask the landlord or property manager about it. They may take care of it for you, or tell you not to mess with it.

Check the manufacturer's web site for any information. In most cases it's just a case of moving the pieces to the other side, although you may need to flip some pieces such as the top hinge over. Take pictures of it before disassembly so you can figure out how to get it back together.

Reply to
Bob

Many more modern fridges you can although the existing screws have possibly been in there since fridge was made and my be 'tight' to get out. Not so sure about old timer fridges! First suggestion; can you see any threaded holes on the other side of the fridge frame to take the hinges if/when the door is changed over? Second; what kind of screws hold the existing hinges to the frame of the fridge; they are possibly on top (for the top hinge anyway), under a small snap-on plastic cover. However fridges vary greatly and the hinge screws could be inside the door on the flat edge of the fridge compartment. Depends on the fridge! Thirdly; make sure you have the right kind of screwdriver or wrench in good condition or borrow one of the right kind. What about the handle on the door/s does it have to change over as well? Does the door have be reconfigured inside (or turned upside down) to fit and swing the the other way? Is there one door on the fridge or two? One for the fridge section and one for a freezer section? If it's a two door there may be combined hinge in the middle (sort of) for both doors! Is changing the fridge door to swing other way your only option? Sorry; not much help but we can't see your fridge from here. If you get help suggest someone who is highly practical and has a good tool box. i.e. a handy-person!

Reply to
terry

Most refrigerator doors consist of a insulated outer shell with inner door liner The door gasket being held between the two by screws. Plastic trim with plastic pop off covers usually covers the alternate hinge locations. These plastic covers are then put back into the old hinge location pockets to restore the finish

Reply to
Telstra

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1188419596.626304.314760 @o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

As Bob said, does this refrigerator even offer a reversible door option?

And yea, ask the landlord. Suppose you hose it up - strip threads, drop door and bust plastic, whatever. Then what? If it is reversable, for some people it is difficult and others a "yawwwwwwwn" job. I can't tell where you fall into.

Reply to
Al Bundy