Refrigerator H2O filter, indicator light

Howdy, I have a year old Whirlpool fridge. Water filter change light did its green-yellow-red routine right at six months, and again at one year. I am strongly suspecting now that this is a timer, and their is no H2O quality being measured. It would be surprising if their was a conductivity meter in an $1100 fridge. And the filter was around $50 at Lowes. Just wondering (yes, I live alone! Too much time on my hands!) Carl
Carlshead wrote:

My WP fridge filter indicator will come on sooner if I use more water. I am guessing that they use a simple timer to keep track of the time that water is flowing through the filter (plumbing) either by using a pressure or flow sensor of some sort or maybe just timing how long the water tap switch is held down. You can get better deals on filters on-line something like 3/$100 delivered. Kevin

I just ignore mine. Water is the same. Water pressure is the same; so why bother. YMMV
Kevin Ricks wrote:

I expect it's an integrated time and use monitor, where it starts with a base time of six months as the maximum filter life based on bacteria buildup or some such, and deducts additionally off that time for the amount of use the dispenser and ice maker get (remember the ice maker goes through the same filter).
Personally, I just reset the light whenever it comes on and replace the filter when I feel like it. The source water fed to it is pretty good, so I don't expect it wears / clogs at any appreciable rate.

I don't know how they work but bacteria over time is a consideration also. Will the water still work if you just remove the filter? If so, I'd leave it out and put an in line filter in its place. They are about $10 to $15 to replace.
Along these lines, we have an 'under sink' filter with a separate small faucet on the sink. I actually mounted the filter in the basement under the kitchen where it is easier to access and doesn't take up space under the sink. When the frig filter light came on, I replace the filter with the by-pass plug that came with the frig (Maytag) and then 'Teed' the water line into the line to the sink faucet, thereby giving that filter double-duty.

Along these lines, we have an 'under sink' filter with a separate small faucet on the sink. I actually mounted the filter in the basement under the kitchen where it is easier to access and doesn't take up space under the sink. When the frig filter light came on, I replace the filter with the by-pass plug that came with the frig (Maytag) and then 'Teed' the water line into the line to the sink faucet, thereby giving that filter double-duty.

On Tue 22 Jul 2008 03:42:54p, Carlshead told us...

I had a Whirpool with the same type of filter. The filter change light is, indeed, triggered by a timer, as confirmed by a phone call to Whirlpool. For one or two people, the filter should easily last a year. Just reset the light and keep the filter.
--
Wayne Boatwright