Refrigerator (fridge side) not cooling

Freezer is fine on side-by-side but fridge side is warm.
What are the possible things to look for?
Thanks.
On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:17:52 PM UTC-4, noname wrote:

Initial debug.
1. Coils in freezer don't look frozen. 2. Frost in the automatic ice tray which it odd. 3. If I open the freezer door cool air comes in to the fridge from the fan duct. 4. If I close the freezer door cool air stops coming into the freezer. 5. Fans seem to be running.
On 10/8/2013 5:29 PM, noname wrote:

What brand? Is it GE / Hotpoint by any chance?
On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:59:33 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Whirlpool. About 10 years old. Frost in the ice tray, hard to tell if there is frost in the evaporator coils. Air only blows into the fridge if I open the freezer door. Compressor sounds fine. Thoughts?
On 10/8/2013 6:25 PM, noname wrote:

evaporator coils. Air only blows into the fridge if I open the freezer door. Compressor sounds fine.

Whirlpool is my favorite brand of appliances. Yes, I do repair some appliances. Simple, and the parts are not killer expensive like GE.
From what you describe, I'm thinking defrost problems. Is there snow on the back wall of the freezer?
On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:33:58 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, some on the outside of the evaporator panel and in the ice tray. Pulling off the panel is a pain but it looks a bit frosted. For sure I only get cold air into the fridge from the cooling intake when I open the freezer door.
On 10/8/2013 6:55 PM, noname wrote:

panel is a pain but it looks a bit frosted. For sure I only get cold air into the fridge from the cooling intake when I open the freezer door.

Now, all you need to do is determine why it's failing to defrost, and treat that problem.
On 10/8/2013 5:17 PM, noname wrote:

Blocked air flow. Bad evap fan Defrost cycle problems.
Did you do a web search for refrigerator troubleshooting?
On 10/8/2013 2:17 PM, noname wrote:

times, I got screwed. Yesterday, I picked up a nearly new Amana HUGE freezer for $125. I do know that they are just machines, and as such, a knowledgeable person can fix a timer, or some simple component, and get many more years of service. Just not me. Ymmv.
Steve

There is a small louvered doodad in the top wall between the fridge and freezer. See if air is coming out. If not, is the fan running in the back of the freezer? If not you have a port between freezer and fridge iced up, maybe both. Try checking the top port with both doors open. If air comes out it is one of the bottom ports
The easiest fix, if you have a place to move the food, unplug it for a day or so and leave both doors open. (maybe blowing a fan in there)
You can take all of the back covers off the back of the freezer side and defrost it with a hair dryer but t is a pain getting it all apart and back together.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

BY the sound of it, defrost timer is going South, slowly the symptom will get worse as more frost/ice builds up. Mean time compressor will run longer and longer until it burns out. Timer is not that expensive. (hope it is mechanical one, not electronic) Good luck.