refrigerator freezer troubles

Page 2 of 8
On 9/6/2014 7:14 PM, Todd wrote:

Dusty condenser will do this kind of symptoms. Hope that's going to solve things for now. Long time till Monday when you can "get the man".
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/6/2014 7:14 PM, Todd wrote:

Wow, that must save a lot of energy if you get ice at 60 degrees. Mine has to go lower tan that.
On 09/06/2014 08:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Maybe raise the pressure inside the fridge to 100 kbar?
In typed:

This probably won't help, and I don't really know a lot about refrigerator/freezer stuff, but.... maybe try unplugging the unit, wait 5 minutes, then plug it back in. I am just wondering if the earlier event that caused the burning smell may have goofed up the software and, if so, maybe doing the "reboot" routine will work. Unlikely, I know, but it's free to try.

unless the defrost cycle is stuck on?
On 9/6/2014 5:03 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

On the older units with mechanical defrost timer, "stuck in defrost" would also turn off both fans and turn off the compressor. Electronic? Never know how they work.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 09/06/2014 02:21 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It is electronic
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 09/06/2014 02:03 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

Runs for about a half hour and stops. Then waits about a half an hour and cycles again.
On Saturday, September 6, 2014 5:33:21 PM UTC-4, Todd wrote:

When it's running for that half hour, is cold air blowing into the freezer or is it never really cold?
Also, related to the tech thinking it's a thermostat problem, does this have a temp display? If it's displaying 50F, hard to figure how it can be a thermostat issue on an electronic unit.
On 09/06/2014 04:33 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Just a little cool

They are store bought thermometers
See my reprise at the end of the thread.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 9/6/2014 5:57 PM, David L. Martel wrote:

He did say it was about 50F in fridge and freezer both. And good air flow. This isn't consistent with your diagnosis.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/6/14, 6:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

freezer at about 32 F. I'd take an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer and put the probe in the evaporator air in the freezer. I don't know what the temperature drop should be, but if it read 12 F, for example, I'd think the problem was that the thermostat wasn't keeping the compressor on long enough.
If it looked like thermostat trouble (as the repairman guessed), I'd look for the possibility that some obstruction was subjecting it to too much freezer air. If that didn't pan out, and it were possible to lean a water bag against the thermostat area, a bag of lukewarm water might be used to trick the thermostat and save the food until it could be fixed.
On 9/6/14, 7:16 PM, J Burns wrote:

I take it back...
On 9/6/2014 7:17 PM, J Burns wrote:

The situation is rapidly emerging. I suspect Todd will be back in a few minutes. He'll tell us that he prayed over his refrigerator, and sprinkled with holy water and salad oil. He knocked the refrigerator back into the stadium seat, and declared it healed.
Praise be to Whirlpool!
On 9/6/14, 7:27 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It includes the approximate wattage at a certain ambient temperature, with the thermostat at midpoint, in the last third of the cycle.
I paid under $20 for a watt meter than plugs into a wall outlet. I've seen what the refrigerator uses, but I'm going to write down wattages at specific room temperatures.
That way, I can plug in the watt meter to see if the high-side lines are dissipating heat normally. If the compressor was cutting off because of dusty lines, I'll bet the wattage would be very high.
On 09/06/2014 08:58 PM, J Burns wrote:

Make and model?
On 9/7/14, 3:50 AM, Todd wrote:

haven't regretted it.
Besides watts, it keeps track of time and hours; so I can see the average wattage of a refrigerator, and what it will use in a month.
It shows me vampire loads; some gear is a lot more efficient than other gear. For charging a car battery, I find it a better monitor than the charger's ammeter.
On 9/7/14, 10:31 AM, J Burns wrote:

Oops... It shows time and kilowatt hours! I was out sick the day my class studied English!
On Sunday, September 7, 2014 10:36:12 AM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:

I have a Kill a Watt too and also highly recommend it. It's great for monitoring any plug in loads where you want to find out how much power they actually use over a period of time. From the menu you can put in your cost of power and it will then tell you how much a day, week, month, etc it costs to run.