Refrigerator freezer door sometimes opened .5 inch. How to "lock" closed?

Someone goes into the freezer (part of refrig), "closes" the door, leaves the room, etc.
Too much stuff in freezer, or not correctly arranged, or whatever -- of course door doesn't close 100%, or does for a few minutes then pushes open a wee bit.
Maybe not noticed until next morning (by me!)
Obvious answer: get rid of some of the contents.
Heck, maybe all of it, or at least the meat -- since temp clearly not 0 or 5F where it should be, not with door not sealed closed.
Yeah, nice idea. Don't buy so much frozen food, etc.
Well, let's not pursue that particular track, huh. :-)
(Parkinson's law of freezer-space obtains here in this house!)
--

(Well, maybe replace the magnets with supercondcting ones
that would hold 20 tons? 200 tons?)
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 02:20:30 -0500, David Combs wrote:

Not a solution to your problem, but the fan in the freezer section of our old unit is quite noisy (over 3 decades of bearing wear on it) - it's actually quite useful because it's not loud enough to hear it with the door closed, but it serves as a useful audible warning when someone's not got the door quite shut properly.
Maybe manufacturers should deliberately make freezer section fans loud :-)

Maybe some form of child lock that you can put on cupboards to stop tiny kids from getting into them - they're typically a plastic thing that has to be pulled to one side to release.
Add pictures here
✖

In fact, latches specifically designed for fridge and freezer doors are common; look in the babyproofing section of any hardware store. For example: http://www.babyproofingplus.com/item12843.htm?blnSearch=yes
They usually need to be manually latched when the door closes, so aren't a solution for homes where someone just can't be bothered to use them.
Many years ago I had a new fridge that did a beep-beep thing if the door was open more than like 2 minutes. Maybe there's an opportunity for an entrepreneur to integrate a timer and beeper into an appliance lightbulb? (LED of course - should be a no-brainer to eliminate a 40 W *heater* from your freezer.) Assuming your freezer is illuminated.
Chip C Toronto
Add pictures here
✖
Chip C wrote:

Excellent idea. I've heard they make beeping bulbs to retrofit backup lights on vehicles. When the vehicle goes in reverse, the backup light comes on and the beeping begins.
Same idea should work for the fridge...
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 2, 2:20 am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

The door seal is shot. Replace it.
Add pictures here
✖

What evidence of that?
Does a door-seal contain the magnet?
Better yet, does a non-original-equipment door seal contain some much STRONGER magnet? Which will help keep the door closed -- in fact, will help first CLOSING the door, and tighter, too?
Actually, would the (expensive) magnet be in the flexible door seal? Or rather in the door itself?
David
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 2, 2:20 am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

re: "Well, let's not pursue that particular track"
Ahh.. but we must, but not as a solution for your door problem - although it might also solve that problem...
A totally packed freezer is less efficient than one with some room. There needs to be some room for air circulation for the defrost cycle to properly so it's job.
When I bought my freezer I was told by the dealer that it runs most efficiently at about 3/4 full.
So if you "don't buy so much frozen food" not only will the door stay closed (assuming that's the problem) but your fereezer will more efficient.
P.S. The unit should be tilted backward just enough so that the door closes by itself if the user walks away.
Add pictures here
✖

Thanks for that! At long last I now have a believable/understandable/ convincing-even-to-she-who-believes-nothing-I-say reason to pass on! THANKS AGAIN!
David
*reason* to not fill the freezer!
Add pictures here
✖